Thread: Water Pump install

Default Water Pump install

I finally am ready to install the water pump on the 230. I do not have a gasket, should I worry about one or RTV it?

Could get a sheet of gasket material and cut one...rtv would work too.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Could get a sheet of gasket material and cut one...rtv would work too.
    How about gasket and RTV?

That would be the best in my book...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

ABLinn has the gaskets if you really want one.

Gaskets are one of those areas we all have different opinions on. Here is mine.

If I have or buy some, I put 3M Weather stripping on the part (The yellow really sticky stuff in the red box and tube) put the gasket on the part and then put a layer of the 3M stuff on the now top side of the gasket. Make sure the surfaces are clean and bolt it together.

I like the 3M Weather stripping adheasive on all paper gaskets. For stuff like valve covers I only use it on the valve cover side. That way you can remove the vc and the gasket won't stick or hang in the way.

I just this afternoon had to put a new water pump on my 2000 Suburban with a 5.3 engine. The old pump was fine, but the pump to block aluminum plate/o-ring factory gasket was seeping coolant. I figured 130,000 miles was long enough for the stock pump to live and didn't want to do this again in the summer. I put the 3m Adhesive on just like I described above. No leaks.

When I did my 230 water pump 4 years ago, the orginal gaskets were destroyed and I needed the truck togo to work the next day. I put the pump in a vise with the mounting surface up. I cut a big piece of gasket paper out and put it against the mounting surface. Then I just tapped my way around the edges with a ball peen hammer. Just soft easy blows. The ball end of the hammer will cut the paper. 5 minutes later, I had a perfectly fitting gasket. I did the 3M stuff and ran it for the next 3 years.

RTV stand for Room Temperature Vulcanization. That means the RTV will harder at room temperature. I use it on my axle shaft flanges and any place that will see a lot of outside moisture like differential covers and any place in an engine that will see a lot of high pressure water. Around the water ports at each end of a SBC between the head and intake, SBC thermostat covers and at the corners of a SBC oil pan. I consider it the best "space filler" for imperfect mating surfaces, but don't use it when both sides are flat and a thin paper gasket is used. A lot of modern engines call for it instead of gaskets. But, you have to get RTV made for electronic engines. Otherwise it will ruin the sniffer part of your O2 sensors.

Sorry for the lecture. The above is just my opinion. Do what has worked for you in the past. If nothing has worked, try something new or just clean everything a bunch more. The cleaner something is, the better the seal.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Im with Tim, Use some gasket material and make your own using a small ball pean hammer on the rounded end for ease and also use the yellow weather stripping adhesive to hold the gasket in place to the pump when installing on the block, (sparingly) and one side next to pump to stick gasket to pump before installing and you should be fine. rtv will also work also used in a lite film on pump side of gasket to help later removals if ever needed.