Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some axle info

The guy just emailed me back, re-measured with help this time, and got 73.5 end to end - single rear wheel 1 ton ford. 8 lug hubs.

The kicker is, this thing's only $100 - so even if I don't use it, I should be able to turn it for that.

So, whatta ya think, snag it?

Ok, so nobody responding on the "snag it for $100 question" - here's another one:

NP205 case for $100 but a married version - hard to change or look for a divorced one?

thoughts please?

Rich, I for one thought your "snag it for $100" was a retorical question and that you were going to get it.

The married 205 is worth about $200-$300 around here. But, that is if somebody wants it. There is a junk yard in Austin that has a divorced NP205 for $275. They have had it for over 3 years now at the same price. That could happen to you too. You can convert the married to a divorced, but you will have several times the price of a real divorced invested. I wouldn't suggest it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim, my concern is that the D70 for $100 is a good deal, but if I can't find a matching front - then that's $100 that could be used towards a matching set from a CUCV or something.

My other alternative is for Taco to REALLY need some money and sell me his D60 front for $400 or so. That's probably not likely to happen.

I was also concerned because there was some discussion that the D70 ford axle was narrower than ours. So, I really am looking for sensible advice here.

Thanks in advance.

The nicest thing about buying two axles at the same time is the matching R&P factor. I bought my 70 first and my front end doesn't match. The 70 I got though could have been left drum braked (it was really wide and had the narrowest drums I have seen on one).

Chevy seems to be the way to go, I had to pass on a set of dodge 60's as there was not near as much axle tube between the chunk and knuckle on the dodge as the chevy. It might not matter if I were going spring over but I am staying spring under in the front and I didn't want to gring on the chunk if it could be avoided.

Divorced NP205 around here is usually 100-150$ There is one on the Tennesseeoffroad.com board right now for $150. Getting someone to ship can be a chore though.

I know exactly the situation you are in Rich. When I was a dealer, I wouldn't have even given it thought. Just buy it and know that some time in the future I could either use it or sell it. Now that I am fund limited, I don't buy stuff unless I can justify it several different ways. "I think it might fit or work" is not one of my ways to justify. But, you could probably turn it on craigslist without ever unloading it from your truck. When normal people need a rear axle, they need it now and will pay for it. Unlike us green iron weirdo's who will look at something, think about it, nibble at it and then walk away for a few weeks before we start thinking about it again.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Well, it just got more interesting - not only does the same guy have the 205 (married) and the axle, but another local guy is listing an 81 goldwing for $1200 obo........grrr.