Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would this work for wheels?

Default would this work for wheels?

Has this been done before? If so would a 38 XL mount and seat properly? If I cut 2 inches from the back side of a stock rim, next weld it to the face of a spare rim in place of the split ring, the new wheel is one piece and approximately 8 inches wide. Also the center section of a two piece wheel is larger than modern one piece wheel. Would this prohibit mounting the tire.
    Just asking before I start chopping up good wheels.

This idea won't work for two reasons.
    1. The lip of the rim is larger than on a normal one piece 16" wheel, and it will be very hard/impossible to get the bead over it.
    2. The drop center on a modern one piece wheel is nessecary to allow the tire to mount on the rim. M715 wheels do not have a drop center, as you noted.

3. Trying to get this perfectly centered and true is next to impossible without the proper equipment.

Adding the cut piece to the outside of the rim will work and is not that hard to get true, well almost true. The original wheel will help in making it true as the center is not removed from the wheel. I did it on my M35 to make 10" wide rims and mount 15.5 X 20's. I added 3" to the outside of the rim, split ring. I also did one by adding 3" to the inside of the rim and reversing the center. However I kept the split ring mount. With out the drop center you could not get the tires on or off. Only issue I had was balance. I balanced the rims but when I mounted the tire and flap they were 24 to 30 ounces out.
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...&postorder=asc

SEMIS.
    PLEASE post pic,s of the rim you described you made.
    bob

Thanks for the insight. I will look to see how much width I can gain by cutting the outside end off, that way I would be keeping the split ring. I believe 11x16 XL's come mounted on 9.25 inch rims. I had considered using the hub to spin the rim, but was tempted to use a cut off wheel. Possibly using a band saw would provide a cleaner cut. It looks to be almost a 48 inch cut.

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    SEMIS.
    PLEASE post pic,s of the rim you described you made.
    bob
    Bob, I can't find the pic's right now. Scroll down to the bottom of the 1st page in the link on SS and it has pic of the process. The rims I did were standard M35 rims. The same thing could be done with the M715 rims to gain width. Yes they are not exact but I was really pleased on how they turned out. Not having a layth it worked well. I ran them on a spin balancer and only one had a little wobble. As Barrman said I was hitting 65 in the truck and no problems

I got to look at one of the rims real close Sunday. They look great. I also followed the M35 for a lot of miles and didn't see any wobble or anything else wrong with them. I was actually thinking about how many rims I had and how many I would have to use to do the same thing.

I saw two rims at his house in November before he did this and he talked me through his plan. I thought I knew what he was going to do. Then I saw the linked SS thread and realized how simple and well thought out his plan really was. His balancing solution is also very simple and effective.

Yes, he did run off and leave my M715 while he was pulling a construction trailer with a M37 on the back. When I decided the heck with the NP200 heat and caught up to him, my GPS said 65 mph and I had matched speeds with him. I had hit 72-73 to do the catching up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Did you curl the foam in your seats from the heat?

If you are going to run 11.00x16 XLs, you do not need to widen the rims, they are made to go on a 6.5" rim, if you look up the Michelin specs, it says this. I run 38x13x16 Swampers on stock rims with no problems.