Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Hercules DT3.7?

Default Interest in Hercules DT3.7?

I have two Hercules DT3.7(turbo diesel) in my garage. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with them.

Anyone here run one?

Anyone interested in running one?

These are currently mated to T19 transmissions.

Ken

I should put one in my Scout 800A. What is the max RPM for them? I have a set of Scout II Dana 44s with 3.31 gears, would that be high enough w/o OD? I could line that project up right behind the tranny swap in the Travelette! I am in the middle of a house renovation, makes the truck stuff look simple and fun.

Dave

Dave

They're governed at 2700 rpm. 108 HP/235 lb.ft non-intercooled. If you IC it, you simply turn up the pump for 125HP/270lb.ft as factory rating, IIRC. Slightly more HP than Cummins 4bt(105HP and 120HP w/IC in the same breadvan app), but less torque though.

I was considering one for my Willys/Scout with 3.54 r/p D44s and 255/85R16 tires(true 33" tall). Having done some calcs I think it'd be fine without OD(2700 rpm=75 mph, 1:1), and I very rarely go over 60 mph in it(town/country/mountain roads). 3.31 r/p with 31" tires would produce similar results.

I want to put one in an 80/800 but I don't have one and I can't take on yet another vehicle project right now, I feel like I'm almost drowning...

I've got '51 Willys/Scout, '60 IH B140, '68 CJ5, '73 Travelall all registered/insured and in a driving/maintenance rotation, with a M43 and a M38A1C as long term projects. Combined with the 4 kids, I don't get much time on the projects.

I'd still like to do the trans swap. I'm in no hurry as I find you aren't either. If you're serious about one of the Hercs we can converse more via email or phone.

Ken

I"m mildly interested. Price???

I agree- it is interesting. In my head, I'm thinking how would a 3053A mate up to this. Ken, are you in Fort Collins or Fort Carson? I'm over in Greeley. As my 6.2 is non turbo, I'm not up on all the cool power increasing add ons. I wonder how hard or expensive getting an intercooler would be- gonz

Ken,
    What brand of tires did you find 255/85R16s in? I want to run those on my Travelette, and can only find a few brands that make them, none I want to run.
    Dave
    Sorry for the hijack

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    I"m mildly interested. Price???
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    ...Ken, are you in Fort Collins or Fort Carson? I'm over in Greeley. ...
    Here in Fort Collins, neighbor.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by DNL View Post
    Ken,
    What brand of tires did you find 255/85R16s in? ...
    Dave, they are Cooper ST. I like them, especially in this narrow of a tire. The ST pattern works well on the narrow tires.

They're in these photos of my 'IHWillys'.

Ken

Are you running the stock axels or did you change them out?