Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air conditioning

Coke zero, I was out of bud

Yes. I know it's an old thread.. BUT would like to see how its' been doing/cooling this long and if it 'didn't' work out..

Will the condenser mount up to the stock rad support?

Errol

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I hadn't really heard of anyone whose done it on an M715, or at least completed it and gave any results, but I did have a '70 Chevrolet Stepside pickup that I installed A/C into. It was a Big Block Truck.

With the metal cab and zero insulation other than the stock rubber floormat, it was marginal at best. With 28 degrees at the vent temperature, the A/C was working fine, but there wasn't any way for it to retain that cool air until I added firewall and floor insulation, carpet, vinyl door panels, a headliner, and tinted side glass. Then it would freeze you out of the cab.

Given how "airy" an M715 cab is with a soft top, or even a hard top for that matter, I'd think A/C would be a suggestion, rather than an actual cooling effect.

Just my $.02.........
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Lee had a/c on his truck. Cold at the vent and felt good.

It won't cool you off though. Get in any vehicle you have with a/c, roll all the windows down, park it in the sun and turn the a/c on. Next, stick your feet in a tub of 170° water. That is a M715 with a/c. Turn off the a/c but leave your feet in the water. That is a M715 without a/c.

Yes, it will feel great at a stop light or in a parade. However, with all the leaks in the windows, roof and floor. Plus the absurdly high floor temps a truck gets after an hour or two of use. You will still be sticky wet after driving the truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post

You will still be sticky wet after driving the truck.
    OT, I can't wait.

I really liked the idea of getting the whole set up from a Grand Cherokee or the like. Just didn't see if it was a 'york' compressor or the sanden style..
    I'll have more time next week to do some searching in the local yards.

I finally got mine home and started pressure washing it. Thought of using that bed liner spray under and a rubber backed in/out door carpeting.
    My top is welded on and actually thought of making the rear window larger say from a bus that will pivot outward on the bottom.

Anywho, After cleaning and assessing the venting, I'll be looking into this stuff you can get from the local hardware stores that's used for flashing.
    The youngins are using it like 'Dynamat' in their little rice burners, but it's TONS cheaper per/sqft. (I wonder if it gives off fumes when heated..)

If the cab area is comparable to the Ol Gladiator, I'm sure that ACC custom carpets could cut a custom piece of insulated rubber matting that would be molded to fit too.
    That should help with keeping the air cooler for a longer time..

Errol

Insulation and carpet are great ideas. Just keep in mind that rust will soon follow. Of course, driving in deep water will trap water under the insulation. I am talking about rain water though. The top of the windows angle in over the seats just a little. The window to top frame seal is stupidly useless when it comes to keeping water out. Leave any M715 out in the rain and water will get on the floor sooner or later. Insulation and carpet down there to soak it up and trap it needs to be thought about.

The other thing to think about is uses for the truck. I got mine in 2001 and wanted to make it a quiet comfortable driver at any speed pulling anything I could strap onto. It isn't that kind of truck no matter how much you try and make it that way. Do what you want because it is yours. However, you will find like I did that one of the charms this truck has is its basic utilitarian simplicity.

Trying to make it like a 1970 J10 means you might as well go find a J10 and start with that. Or a CUCV like I did. Well, actually 3 of them now. I think.

Have fun and make the truck what you want. Just trying to point out a few things learned.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

One of our members in Az. put ac in his a decade or so ago and has it working nicely...Mudog715 is his username...there are posts with info on the board...check it out.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I wonder if something like this could hang under the dash? Would love to hear from someone here firsthand who has installed a/c successfully in their M715.

Interesting concept I guess, but seems like an awful lot of work for a military vehicle. May be easier to move north.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"