Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Military Vehicle Tags (Texas)

Default Former Military Vehicle Tags (Texas)

I put this here so it wouldn't get pruned sometime in the future. This is mainly for the Texas members, but it might help others as well.

Here are the facts. Texas allows former military vehicles to be issued plates or to use the military ID number as the plate number. Vehicles registered this way also don't need the yearly safety inspection. Here are the web sites to the TXDOT and DPS that support this.

http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/N...d=80&pltid=128

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go

Notice the restrictions on the TXDOT site. Not for daily transportation! If you are driving your vehicle on a daily bases to and from work or school, you will not be complying with the intent of the law.

But, nobody I have spoken to in either the law enforcement world or the license plate world have a clue about the restrictions or the plates. So, if you want to chance it, it is your responsibility.

I was able to get away from work all afternoon on Wednesday. I took my filled out Former Military Vehicle plate application, the requested picture, my title and proof of current insurance to my county tax office. They are open over lunch and I got there at 1210. They didn't have a clue what to do with it. When I pointed out that I didn't want an actual plate and wanted to use the numbers on my truck as the plate numbers. They really got deer in the headlight looks and dropped jaws. They finally told me at 1235 to come back at 1315 so they could make some phone calls to Austin. I came back at 1320 and there were 3 of the 4 ladies in the office on the phone to Austin asking questions. They couldn't even find anybody in their headquarters who knew what to do. Finally at 1355 they asked if I could come back at 1430. I went to lunch and came back at 1430.

They had gotten organized while I was gone. The top two ranking people took me off to the side and told me they had it figured out and that they were just waiting on one more phone call to finish me up. That phone call was about the numbers on my bumper. Austin wanted "documentation" that those were the numbers issued by the military. I told them that I didn't have that kind of proof. I didn't tell them that I made the numbers up. I also didn't have my printed version of the above TXDOT page. They had looked in their manual and copied the relevant sections out. They were trying to figure out what "authorized Military Regisration number" meant. Nobody knew.

Here is the important part for people doing this in the future. My office had been calling the "specialty plates" division. (Look at the address for the TXDOT link. Specialty plates is part of the address.) It turns out that Former Military Vehicles don't really fall under the Specialty plates division. They fall under the "regional" command structure for the tax office people. One phone call to "Regional" and all was well. Tell your people if you are doing this to call their Regional people if they are confused.

The next hurdle was how do I prove the vehicle is registered? The regional people had told my people to issue me the "tab" (1"x2" piece of aluminum) that is supposed to be carried in the vehicle but not attached to the vehicle in any way. My office actually had a tab stuck away in a back room. Once they blew off the dust, it looked ok. Texas issues plates normally that don't have any dates on them. A window sticker is used to determine when tags expire. The ladies tried to make a normal window sticker print out to the size of the "Tab" but they couldn't do it. They kept getting the full 3"x5" size sticker. They would print it out, go back into the computer, void it and try again. They finally called the Regional people again and told them about the problem. A different person at Regional finally told them that the "tabs" are discontinued and to just give me a regular full size sticker that I would then keep on the backing paper and stuff into the glove box. They did and I left around 1500. I was able to go home, remove my normal plate in the rear and scrape both the registration sticker and inspection sticker off of the windshield glass. My numbers are now my license number.

Key points:

Not for daily drivers

Vehicle bumper numbers can be your license number if they are bigger than 2" tall and readable in the picture you bring in.

"Regional" is who your tax office needs to call if they are confused, not specialty plates.

To make the computer do the change, they have to go in through the Antique car heading and a drop box will have the former military option. There is no other way to get to it on the TXDOT computer.

You will walk out of the office with a normal window sticker and a receipt. Nothing else.

All Texas Antique or specialty tags are issued on the same date. March 2003 and are good for 5 years. So, mine will expire in March 2008. I was only charged for 2 years this time. $20.00 plus $10.30 for road and bridge fees. Go in April because they always subract one month. If you go in March, it is technically still the previous year and you will pay an extra $10 for it.

I hope this helps somebody out.
    Last edited by Barrman; October 16th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Great write up, Tim!

I jumped through the rather small hoops in AL to get a 'vinatge' tag:

The cop gave up on the vehicle inspection, signed the form, told me to finish filling it out, and walked off.

They refused to issue me a new title - put it in my name. Instead I am to keep the receipt of sale, the previous owners title, and the registration slip for the tag. I thought this was a little silly at first, but it makes sense: How likely is someone to keep the same color (and generally engine) in a car that's being rebuilt?

I'll have to check into the Military ID number number as plates in Alabama. There are 5 of these trucks in Auburn, so mabye we can gang up on them. I'll post up if I find any information.

Snuffy

When I registered my M725 they could never figure out how to put the hood numbers as the registration number. They used my VIN # as the registration number. It took several hours to get it done. I got tired of messing with it and accepted the VIN# and left. I went ahead and placed the sticker on the windshield to keep from loosing it. When I did my M35 I got a hard plate as I have not put numbers on the truck yet. I am waiting on doing the paint first and then will redo it with the hood numbers, maybe if they can figure it out.
    Good advice would be to keep a copy of the law relating to the former military registration and inspection in the truck with you incase it is ever questioned.

I'm planning on doing this with my deuce when I get it roadworthy in a month or two. It is all original and I expect to drive it little enough to go the "no plates" route. I think I will ask for the Military Vehicle plate for the 715 though and by so doing I don't think anyone will ever stop me for violating the restrictions.

I was looking at this thread to use on the new truck and realized the links had gone bad. They are fixed now for those of you needing or wanting to do this.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

A quick note,

When I did mine, the office had never done a Former Military Vehicle and there was much confusion. It turns out that their computer system has two seperate sections. If they show signs of confusion with the data entry, the Former Military Vehicle designation is in the same area as the Antique Vehicle designation. My local office kept looking in the specialty plates which is a completely different section.

I also did not have a picture of the vehicle with me, but no one asked so I didn't say nuttin.

Well, I just got back from registering the M35A2. This is the 3rd MV I have tagged as a Former Military vehicle in the last 2 years. I think they were waiting for me. (I had the head lady notorize my bill of sale from Wart Hog 2 weeks ago that got sent off to International Title Service.) I handed over about 6 forms that included print outs of the links in my first post. The lady in charge called everybody over to watch and see how to do this kind of paper work. I mean she has done it twice now, so she is the local expert. 15 minutes later and I was done.

The M35 Gasser last spring was listed as having a 3500 pound total gross weight. This M35A2 was listed as 13500 empty with no load ability. I just looked and they forgot to put my bumper number on the paper work. Looks like I will now have a traveling data plate for the next recovery.

I also read the application closer and noticed something. The numbers of the vehicle are supposed to be in the picture and at least 2" high. It doesn't say they have to be on the bumper! So, a picture of the inside door with the numbers on it should work if you don't explain it in too much detail.

Just take some stick-on numbers for the next recovery. Who's gonna know?

ME ME I'm gona tell.................

rat-fink!!!