Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 bolt versus stock dana 70

Default 14 bolt versus stock dana 70

i had the axles out of a cucv 14 bolt rear and compared them to the m715 dana 70 rear axles . the 14 bolt axlesare just 1/32nd inch larger. the spnidles, wheel bearing, seals are all bigger in the dana 70 axle. fyi
    bob

Bob, I think the main reason guys switch is for the locker, the better (more driveable) gear ratio, the front disc brakes, and the common wheel pattern.

At least, that's why I'd switch.

As much as I hate GM crap, I'd use a 14 bolt over the stock D70 because of the ease of replacement parts like brakes and ring and pinions, and because of the definite advantage of better metallurgy. The old D70 is late 50s, early 60s technology at best. Barry handed me a broken D70 axle end and you could tell that is was soft and barely had any hardening at all.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

the only reason i,am instaling the 14 bolt and matching front dana60 is for the reasons compex stated. as far as quality i personall believe the stock m715 components are as good if not better. just my opinion. all those bigger bearings if nothing else make it better but it is 60 tech agreed.i just wanted to post the measurements i checked for others who might want to know them. cant beat info.... COMPEX, did you do spring over or under ?
    bob

Bob, i haven't done the swap, been saving money for it. It would depend on if I were installing it in my 725 which is parade-ready, or my 715, which is not.

If I were putting it in the 715, I'd seriously consider spring over for added clearance and height.

14 bolts have 3 pinion bearings vs. 2 for a D70. I'll say this much, in the 70's and 80's G.M. used the D70 in their dually trucks (with factory pickup bed) and the 14 bolt in all fleetside 3/4, fleetside 1 ton, and 1 ton cab and chassis dual wheel trucks. The duallys were prone to snapping the pinion yokes and eating gear sets. The 14 bolt trucks were practically bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthang View Post
    14 bolts have 3 pinion bearings vs. 2 for a D70. I'll say this much, in the 70's and 80's G.M. used the D70 in their dually trucks (with factory pickup bed) and the 14 bolt in all fleetside 3/4, fleetside 1 ton, and 1 ton cab and chassis dual wheel trucks. The duallys were prone to snapping the pinion yokes and eating gear sets. The 14 bolt trucks were practically bulletproof.
    This is very true, We have changed alot of those rears out, or rebuilt them, over the years.

That extra pinion bearing is nice with a big load behind you. Sadly, my K30 dually has a 70.

I Didnt Know About The 3 Rd Bearing For The Pinion.

yeah, it supports the end of the pinion.

I also like the dropout pinion section. Little bit easier to deal with than Dana stuff LOL