Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 by Kia?

Arrow M715 by Kia?

Has Anyone seen this web page? The M715 still in production by Kia Motors in Korea. Awesome, makes me want one.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb2/jeeppickups/Kia.html
    1969 M715 WO/W

Seen the pages before...the guy is a member and stops by from time to time to update us on stuff he has found that are of interest to us...he has tons of good pics I have never seen elsewhere.

We also have a member in the Philipines who has 3 of these trucks. He sent me a CS with tons of pics on it....his trucks are like new.

I had heard about the KIA even before I started the Zone....friend of mine, when he first saw my truck, said it reminded him of the Republc of Korea Army trucks he saw when he served over there...sure enough....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It really shows that if the Department of Defense had improved on the M715 it would have been alot cheaper than developing and producing the HMMWV. But then again, there are alot of collectors out there who swear by the HMMWV as a great vehicle. I never liked driving them, but I can't put them down. Obviously, I love the M715.

Looking close at the pics, the fuel filler hose looks to be the same as ours. An entrepreneurial person could find out if they work and offer brand new parts for us through Kia. Maybe? Just a thought.
    1969 M715 WO/W

Actually the M715 was replaced by the Dodge M880 series of pick-ups in 1975, that was then replaced by the Chevy M1008 pick-ups in 1984. The Humvee replaced the M151 series of vehicles because of safety concerns with the 151's and there tendancy to roll over with inexperianced drivers.

Also the Kia's have a smaller fuel fill than the M715's. It looks to be the size of the ones that were on the AM715.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Right you are with the history. Imagine though not producing the M880 Series or CUCV and just having to upgrade the M715. I was just thinking it is the same weight class as the HMMWV too. It would have saved the tax payers some $$$. But, that is just a dream...

BEAST: By the way, your trucks are awesome.
    Last edited by dhood; February 9th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
    1969 M715 WO/W

The updated version was submitted o the military in the late 70's era...it was rejected...

In 1978 AM General offered the AM-715, which was similar to the M-715. The primary differences were a 131 inch wheelbase, civilian front fenders, drop center wheels, a modified brush guard, smaller fuel filler neck and lift shackles placed on the outside of the front bumper. This truck was never used by the U.S. military but may have been purchased by some foreign governments.

Might be the "father" of the Kia....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

That sounds about right, because AM General started designing the HMMWV around 1980. Don't quote me on the date, as I may have read it as "early '80's" for the HMMWV.

Seems to me that I also read that AM General was split from AMC around the same time ('80 or '81) due to government regulations regarding Renault's interest in AMC.

correct..."The French Connection" worried our government due to us having to rely on another country for our mil vehicles....not a wise thing to let happen...

On April 1st, 1971 AM General was spun off from AMC and was "a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Motors Corporation and separate from the Jeep Corporation."

Design work for the HMMWV was started in 1979.

In 1983 LTV Corporation bought AM General from AMC.

Contray to popular belief, GM has never owned AM General and only markets the Hummer line of vehicles for Am General. They have nothing to do with the design or manufacture of the original HMMWV. The H2 and others are obviously GMs s who fell fall from the tree and rotted where they lay.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Yep...when Kaiser sold Jeep, the military and civvy lines were split....but....

AM General's roots (and its location in South Bend) lie with the "General Products Division" of Studebaker, which, along with its substantial defense contracts, was acquired by Kaiser Industries after Studebaker left the auto industry in 1966. American Motors Corporation (AMC) became the owner when it purchased the Jeep Corporation from Kaiser in 1970, and Kaiser left the auto business. In 1971, AMC made the General Products Division of Jeep (producing contract and non-commercial vehicles) a wholly-owned subsidiary and renamed it AM General Corporation. American Motors ended its history as an independent automaker in 1982 when controlling interest in the company was purchased by France's Renault. US Government regulations forbade ownership of defense contractors by foreign governments, and Renault was partially owned by the French government. Therefore, in 1983, AM General was sold by AMC to the LTV Corporation and it became a wholly owned subsidiary of the LTV Aerospace and Defense Company.