Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: twin stick 205 lever position ???

Default twin stick 205 lever position ???

I have my 205 almost hooked up. However, I dont think I ever found low range. Can you tell me the lever positions for this ?

Does each lever have only 2 positions ?

hahahahahahahah

uhmmmmmmm no. High and low, and NEUTRAL.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    hahahahahahahah

uhmmmmmmm no. High and low, and NEUTRAL.
    Need more detail as to what the left lever does as well as what the right one does..Or at least what they are supposed to do so we know when we get them adjusted rite..

ORD's instructions are pretty clear.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/instruc...tructions.html

I've often wondered about the novelty of split shifters. What is the advantage of having low-range two-wheel drive option? In what scenario would one find it useful?

This is an honest question, regardless of whether I'm just not considering all the possibilities.

Pulling as real heavy load in a low speed area...like on a farm maybe...where traction is good....

If one broke an axle shaft out on the trail, getting back might be helped by low range, depending on terrain....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Good points, but...
    1. If you are pulling a heavy load in low range, wouldn't one want to ease the burden on the rear axle by simple shifting into four wheel low and allow the front end to assist? Anytime I perform slow heavy pulls, I use 4-Lo, because I feel that it is less abusive on the truck.

2. Breaking an axle on the trail was what I had once thought was the novelty of the split shifters, but only if you could disengage the rear and run the front without pulling the rear shaft. I see that having 2-Lo would help if the front axle broke, but I don't know if that little benefit would justify the time and expense of the twin shifters/levers.

Another thought, if the rear axle contained lock-out hubs, could the NP205 twin shifters allow front wheel drive only by the use of standard engagement 4-Hi/Lo front & rear while the rear axle hub lock-outs were disengaged?

Well, rear lock outs on a heavy truck just don't seem to last real well.

For most people, there is no reason to twin stick your vehicle. 2wd low is handy on the boat ramp, and other scenarios, but not at all necessary. My personal vehicles are getting twin-sticked so I can rock the front dig offroad. That's the only reason. For M715's I can't really understand it much, other than the 2wd low. Stock front axles don't like front digs. Mud trucks with twin-sticks don't make much sense to me either, low range kills your wheel speed.

As for time and expense, neither of those are significant enough to merit any real worry. Got a grinder? can you take out about 4 bolts? Then you can twin-stick a case.

We have had this debate off and on for years. Tacoma is right, there really isn't a "need" in a M715 for twin sticks. That being said, I have a 205 sitting on a bench a few feet from me that I have done the twin stick modification to and will put in my M715. Why?

Versatility mainly. I might not ever need it, but if I do those 30 minutes I spent doing it will really pay off.

Locking the e-brake, engaging the front wheels and pivoting on the rear axles in the woods, the already mentioned broken rear axle shafts, anything else in the rear axle breaking and allowing me to get home. I have also had situations pulling a trailer in heavy rain that I really don't like the rear locker doing what it does. Front wheel drive could or would be a good thing.

Basically it comes down to what you want.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The 715 is and is not twin sticked.
    I think the designers wanted to dummy proof the transfercase shifting.
    The low range position interfears with the 4wd lever if the 4wd lever is in the forward or 2wd position. So threre is no loss or capability in using just one on a 205.
    It just does not look stock.
    Is there a way to use the stock shifters with the same positions??