Thread: 715 w/ caddy 500

Default 715 w/ caddy 500

I'm finally getting arond to starting my 715 project, and I think a truck this cool deserves the largest production motor EVER! I've seen posts around with this combo, and some wagoneers, and I was looking for info or pics for firewall clearance and radiator setups. Ive had the motor/trans combo hanging in there, so I know it fits, but I only want to do this once! Also I will be searching threads for power steering and suspension tips, the truck will be used on the street, hopefully with 46" or so tires. Thanx in advance for your support!

Ray
    Is that real money?

Oh God, don't do this. I just talked myself out of using a 500. Nope. Not gonna do it. I can't be enticed by thoughts of someone else running around with one...

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh...

Look for Riverbeast and Crazy Jeepman on Ifsja.org. RB has a really good writeup on the swap

Do it ray, put a short shaft turbo 400 in it, put it back to the firewall as much as possible, they're pretty long, then you should be able to run the eng. driven fan. Though the water pump seems kind of low I think it would clear. Move the pass side radiator support over, or put in a J-truck front support and run the generic alum. rad.There's one that just fits, from summit, or jeg's (I don't remember) The front mounts on the caddy are way far forward, you'll have to fab some custom supports, I ran the eldo. rubber mounts on my swap. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    I'm finally getting arond to starting my 715 project, and I think a truck this cool deserves the largest production motor EVER!
    The Viper engne is now a less than petite 510 cubes...8.4 liters...but...one of the biggest straight-4s of its time was De Dietrich 17,000 cc motor. Its cubic capacity is over twice the size of the Cadillac's 500 cubic inch, 8.2 L V8
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yeah I guess they have bumped the Viper up from the original 488 cu in!
    Is that real money?

The Caddy motor remains the largest modern mass production engine and the highest output(actual output in '70, not the factory downplay, was around 450hp and 550ft lbs) and one of the best power to weight ratios(with an aluminum intake it weighs only about 50lbs more than a SBC). The old monster displacement(and generally low output) engines of the classic era are by no stretch "modern" and calling the Viper mill "mass production" is a stretch.

Just trying to formulate the plan right now, hopefully work will commence as soon as my CJ gets out of the garage! Thanks everyone for the tips and comments, I'm sure I will be looking for more info or pics if anyone else comes up with some! (Thanks in advance Pete!)
    Is that real money?