Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will a 7.3 fit?

Default will a 7.3 fit?

I am a first time 715 owner. Right now my truck is in Africa, where I shipped it. We live remote and I want to use it as a brush truck. The 230 died, it lost oil pressure and spun a main bearing. I transplanted a mercedes 3.0 liter trubo car morot, not enough guts to move the beast. Needless, to say, I can't do much there unless I go the Asian route- Isuzu NPR, etc. I have been in contact with Bob in tenesee, wondered what general opinion is on the cummins. Would a 7.3 powerstroke fit? Advice?

Thanks, Ghanaguy

I remember reading that someone stuffed a powerstroke in a 715 (or at least planned to) but no specifics come to mind. If you have the tools, some know-how and lots of willpower, just about anything will fit.

Advice? I do like the diesels, and it'll likely be easier to get fuel (as opposed to gasoline) over there. Also, if you plan to run highways, make sure you regear to keep the rpm's reasonable.

Africa, eh? I can't let that one go without asking... Why?

Well,

I am a missionary to Ghana. Bought the 715 to help me get in and out of places with no roads.

I installed elevators for about 9 years and did other kinds of construction before that. I can find my way around the wrenches, the smoke wrench and the welder, but I am not a "fabricator".

What gears for the 715- 4.89's; or should I go for the 5 or 6 speed tranny?

Ah, that's cool. Doin' the good work.

As for gears, I've been running a 6.2 chevy for a while with stock gearing, and it lived just fine until I lost that dag-blasted oil cooler hose. But it never saw higher than about 55 mph indicated with 38" tires. When I scrounge enough extra change, I'll be going for a set of 4.56's in the stock axles. Hopefully an overdrive tranny, too. A lot of folks will tell you not to waste your money, and go with a modern dana 60 and 14 bolt, but that's a pretty big initial investment. Although now that I think about it, I did twist a tranny in half with a 7.3TD once. Maybe the modern stuff would be better in your case. Just depends on how much money and time you want to throw at it.

Oh, another thing to think about is parts availability over there. Not only for the build, but maintenance. If you have to wait in the woods (forest) for a bearing or IP or something to be shipped in from the States, that could get real inconvenient. Do as the Romans do, and all that.

Yeah,
    That is one reason I am considering the 7.3, cause there is a Ford dealer in the capital city- Accra. It is about 430 miles away, so I could get some stuff there. Believe it or not, a lot of the Ghanaian mechanics know what parts fit what vehicles, they don't throw anything away.

diesel is cheaper to buy there, and hopefully the 715 will get better mileage than with the 230.

I am kind of tight on the dollars, so I may do the gear change. That will be new territory for me. I have done that before, buit paid a friend to set the back lash. I may try and take a dial indicator back with me.

btw, I live near cleveland, oh. So maybe I can get to see your 715 some time.

ghanaguy

The thing's a mess right now! But you're welcome just about any time, the drive's not too bad to Zanesville. Also, there are a few members up around your neck o' the woods..

I've herad stories about those back country mechanics. Clever bunch they are. Those guys, and farmers...

Hey another Cleveburger.... I live in Bay Village right now and work in Lakewood. The 7.3 should fit physically in the truck since it fits in regular pick ups and is a V8. If you could get a 7.3 with the transmission already attached to it that would make life eaiser than trying to make addaptors etc. then you would only have to hook to the deivorced transfer case. If you are not going to be doing 60+ mph driving and more off road slower speed stuff I wouldn't worry about changing the rear ends.
    Zone holster maker

Hey k8icu,

pm me if you want to show off your 715 or just swap lies. I want to see what other guys have done to their trucks.

I am mildly looking for a 7.3 turbo + trans to buy, possibly taking the frame section to get the proper mounts, etc.

any opinions on cummins vs powerstroke vs gm 6.2?

ghanaguy

I'm running a 6.2. They are known to snap the cranks on them. I would rather have the 6.5- they seem to be stronger engines. I'm at almost 5000 feet alt with a non-turbo motor and I can definitely feel the lack of power at highway speeds. You guys are a little lower, so natural asperation may not be so dramatic. My truck came with the 6.2, so I would probably swap it out for a good running turbo'd 6.2 at a good price, but I'm probably going to get rid of it and go with a big block later on for a number of reasons. Hope that helps- gonz