Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellhousing question

Default Bellhousing question

I want to do the Spicer 3053A (M-35) transmission upgrade on my 715 that is getting the Chevy350 repower. Spicergear did this on his truck and I think a lot of his tech was used in writing this article in JP magazine:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl..._transmission/

I found a source for bellhousings that are slightly different than the one that is known to work. Below is a photo from the article of the "correct" bellhousing. I have found identical bellhousings without the hole drilled at the bottom (6 o'clock) position. The two holes above that (at 5 and 7 o'clock) don't exist either. There are bosses for all but the only holes are the two at the top and the two outboard mounting holes (4 and 8 o'clock) which are present in this picture below the input shaft.

I seem to remember somebody posting about using this bellhousing, they were simply going to drill the missing holes. Has anybody successfully done this? Should I get this bell or keep looking? I'm thinking it would be a machine shop job to have the holes drilled correctly, take them the transmission and all.

Clint, you already have all of my knowledge about it. But, do the ones you found have the clutch pivot ball like the one pictured? Your engine has both pivot ball holes like it is suposed to. But, having 3 different choices will make it easier to put the engine where ever we want in the truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    do the ones you found have the clutch pivot ball like the one pictured? Your engine has both pivot ball holes like it is suposed to. But, having 3 different choices will make it easier to put the engine where ever we want in the truck.

Yes, pivot ball setup is exactly as shown.

Heres pics of all my adapters. I don't think it would be too hard to put 2 or 3 holes in the bell, if you can get the top 2 threaded to line everything up.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/gimpyrob...60762339971169

Clint, You were telling me that the raised bosses around the bottom three holes in picture 1252 are there, just no holes, right? That guy also has the adaptor plate in picture 1246 if I understood you right. Cook's should be able to do that perfectly. I also have a guy here in town that runs an oilfield machine shop. He could do it for "Give me a few dollars so I can buy the boys a beer after work."

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

The upper two don't have bosses that I recall, but the casting is thick enough to accept a hole in my opinion. He does have the adaptor plate etc. I already have the starter and flywheel, but I think I would rather pull the parts myself off of one of the complete trucks so that I can be sure to have everything that I know works together.

What are the #'s on the bell. I scored one today GM2 #3894399 All the holes are drilled. Did not have the adapter ring.

Came with a trans GM 3837334 4spd and PTO Ramsey MOD# S36A Assembly #B1-G

Here is a pic of the inside.

What did that come from? The PTO is interesting, is it forward and reverse? The MV style parking brake setup is even more interesting. The bellhousing looks good, I think I can get you the adaptor plate.

Yea, I like that rear drive PTO. My eyes are hurting just from thinking about trying to follow the specs on what else that thing will fit though. It sure does look like the M35 ones on the outside. Maybe the bottom plate on your current M35 PTO will come off and let you bolt that shaft and plate into it giving you front and rear drive.

Give me a few weeks to get my spare PTO off the truck in the field and maybe we can "make" a dual drive unit. The biggest problem is going to be the winches have to stay in neutral otherwise they will both start to turn when you engage it.