Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

Hey guys,
    I finally talked my wife into letting some cash go into my Jeep! The question is what should I put in it? I have a 2000 chevy 454 already and am looking to maybe put in a 700r4 transmision or a 4L80. My funds are limited to around 2500, but I don't want to run out of money before I can drive it again. I would also like to try and squeze in some rims to get rid of the split rims. My father and I will be doing most of the work so all I have to worry about is parts. Am I forgetting anything important? Do I need adapters for the transfer case and maybe it would be easier to get some motor mounts that could bolt right in. Any imput would be appreciated.

The proper thing to do, would be to send me that ole engine. It is WAY to much power for a frail 715........... Not really, that was a joke! I would use the 4l80e, expect to spend around 700.00 on a controller for it though. I think I would go on with the conversion, and get it finished, before buying wheels, or anything else not associated with the conversion, as you wouldnt want to run out of money 2/3rds thru it.

I would definately go with the chevy you allready have. For mounting the engine, you can make your own plate and use motor mounts from a 72 chevy pickup. Spicergear posted this a long time ago and the write up is maybe in the archives. Replacing the jackshaft with the correct end for your tranny and the proper length (which will depend on your engine location) should be the only adaption you need to mate to your T-case. The stock radiator will most likely need to be upgraded also. I'm sure there will be a LOT of little details you'll encounter as well. x2 what Bob said about getting it running well before attacking the tire and wheel issue. I would recommend upgrading the brake system too if not allready done.

A quality rebuilt 700r4 will survive fine behind a 454 unless you plan to thrash the heck out of the truck. One of our members has been running one for 10-12 years without issue. He used 1/2 of a cv joint for the jack shaft due to the required short length.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.