Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aircraft clock

Default aircraft clock

Looking for a panel mounted aircraft clock for my 725, wind up or quartz , lighted in red , 12 volt ,black dial , white numbers. Size around 2 1/4" face and no more than 2 1/2 " depth .
    Tried E-Bay and the net , not much luck . E-mailed & called differant companies, some won't even reply to request on items they list .
    Any leads to where to find this would be appreciated .

Forgot to attach picture , was watching the game .

I have been looking for one like that too. I tried ebay as well, and didn't find much. Question for you though, since I don't know anything about airplane gauges. It looks like there are 4 needles on there. Hours, minutes, seconds, whats the fourth one? An ad I saw also said that the knob on there was to turn the whole dial face. Is this for when planes go into differenet time zones? Anyway, I'm looking for one like this too. If I find a good one I'll let you know.

Default Wicks aircraft supply

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...87/index.html;)

You may also want to seach or post a want add on barnstormers.com

From what I understand , it's a flight timer .Not sure about the time zone question .
    Thanks rjenkins , sent out e-mail to Wicks , perfect item , just need the red lighting .Found another something like it ,but was lit in white only .

You may have to cover the lamp with something or may be able to replace the bulb.

Have communication out to aircraft spruce , they had no info on the item , so they sent off my request to the manufacturer which I have not heard back from yet . Thanks

Guys , not to sound like a know it all but I use one of these everyday. They're quite common in helicopters of all types. It's commonly referred to as "an 8 day clock" originally they only required winding every 8 days to run correctly.
    The 4th hand you see is actually a timer, once you punch the small knob at the upper right of the face the timer begins, push again and the hand stops depicting elapsed time, push once more and the hand resets to the 12 o'clock (zero). This function is used for various time keeping purposes, such as inbound time on approach from the outer marker to the final approach fix, or establishing time corrections for upwind legs in a holding pattern while IFR.

I know that mechanics cringe whenever one of these goes out of service because they are so darn expensive they usually aren't kept lying around as a spare. I know my company pays about 800-1200.00 apiece to replace them and we learn from Avn. infancy to NEVER overwind your clock (it's actually part of the checklist).
    Several smaller companies have gotten approval from the FAA to use electronic time pieces to defray expense. If you get lucky you might find a knock off or factory second for less but I'm no expert on logistics.

Whew sorry for the rant....if you do find some cheap..let me know too, I'll take one. T

just curious as to where do plan on mounting the clock?
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889