Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whos running rockwells?

You know, the stock drum brakes is a decent option that everyone always wants to throw away. They stop great, the only down fall is that they are heavy.

i was wondering why nobody seems to run the stock brakes. is the only reason the massive weight?

The weight and the fact that disc brakes really are better than drums in all situations. Anybody that has ever driven through deep watery mud and then tried to stop with drum brakes can tell you all about how good disc brakes are.

I think the Rockwell drum brake setup is about 100-150 pounds heavier than the popular disc conversions per axle. On a baby Jeep, 300 pounds of unsprung weight is a bunch. On a M715 you probably won't ever know the difference. But, you will in the mud. You will also not have to replace the shoes and spend an hour per corner cleaning them out after a trip through the mud.

Plus, depending on which disc setup you go with, you will have 2 bolts to undo to change pads. Compared to the 10 just to get the drum off a stock brake and then the tie downs and springs to mess with along with the adjusting star wheel.

If your axles have good drum brakes on them now, go ahead and run them on the truck and save the money to swap over to disc until later. The truck will still stop and drive.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Here is another option. I am not to sure that the brakes are big enough, but maybe the owner of this company will chime in here. Anyone reconize the 715?
    http://tcdesignandengineering.com/

How much lift or axle relocation is required to run the 46+" tires, and are you guys running them full width?
    Is that real money?

Heres mine. Rockwells and 46" michilins. I got the axkes from a buddy that ran the same pinion brakes for a couple of years. I've had no problems with them. The discs and calipers are from a Dodge mini van from the junk yard. I've not cut the fenders up except for the flare a little at the back. They rub a littlte but not too bad. Also moved the axel forward about 2". As for lift , I used a 2" block in front and a 3" block in back with the stock springs. The steering valve is from a Toyota forklift (junk yard) stock chevy ps pump and the ram and hoses are from a local farm store. Look guys, My truck is booty fab delux and should be the poster child for how NOT to do it. But it's worked great so far and is Lots of fun.