Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whos running rockwells?

Default whos running rockwells?

Ive been doing some searching around and some homework on rockwells. i am thinking of going this route with my truck. i would like to hear from any of you that has done the same thing. i see several members have done this or is in the process. if you could post some specs on your trucks and pictures it would help me out. i would like to hear what springs/shocks/tires/steering/ brakes your running. also what transfercase. just how big of a tire can the np200 handle? it seems it would probally be worth it to convert to a np205 the way people talk, or not? im going to be running a sbc 350 and an sm465. what needs to be done to the tranny for large tires? new flywheel? bigger yokes for both the tranny and tranfercase im sure is high dollar, i have not checked on them yet. anybody ever used the hydro assit from west texas offroad? the redneck ram i think they call it? i have a couple of power steering boxes and pumps off full size jeeps. could the stock springs ever be enough for rockwells? they seem stiff as heck but i dont know if they could handle it. i was planning on just trying to to get it driveable by spring but in the future i want to run 46'''s or bigger and i might just start on that first thing. i keep seeing militray tires cheap in the r20's and its tempting. it looks like i can get the axles and tires somewhere in the $1500 range. steering i think can be done in the $800 range? springs and shocks, no idea. i can get the driveshafts made for free, i just need the supplys. maybe have to freshen up the axles some. should be able to pick up an np205 fairly cheap. how about pinion brakes? they are not to bad it seems, need to do more research on them though. i can do all the fab work i just need some advice. anything that i am missing? im sure there would be a couple hundred for misc. items. anybody have regerts? anybody want to talk me out of it? sorry for the long winded post, probally more questions to follow. thanks, tim.

Paragraphs, man. Please!

You are going to need to spend some money, getting axles and tires is expensive. Unless you're going to run stock rims and tires. Stazworks beadlocks are about $1500. Surplus Michelins are about a grand shipped, so you're waaaaaaaay off your $800-1500 estimate.

The Redneck Ram works well, have at it. The stock springs are fine for Rockwells, all the weight is ABOVE the spring.

Your truck needs to be fairly high or you will run into some clearance issues. Also, if you are going to try and get much flex out of your truck, you'll need to chop the sh*t out of the cab. The front clip on a FSJ/M-truck is just too short to fit huge tires without a big lift. I'm cutting into the pedal area, and also the innner grille panel.

It is not cheap by any means to put Rockwells on. I didnt' even get into the braking issue. Pinion brakes are fairly cheap, but still about $4-500. Wheel brakes are over $1000 and a big pain in the a$$.

It was also brought up that pinion brakes spin 6.71 times faster that wheel brakes. Builds alot of heat!

yeah, there's that too. Good call.

thanks for the replys. are you using stock springs tacoma? also what size tires?

The pinion breaks are ok for a trail vehicle, but sure not for the street. You'll be puking pinion seals, and bearings in short order probably. They stop good enough, you think you are good, till you see the fluid dripping.

well thats sure not what i was wanting to hear on the brakes. that ups the cost alot $$$.

I"m going to be using GM rear springs all around, and then probably going to 4-links after that. I'll also be running 46" Michelins for a while, until I can spring for 47" LTB's when they make them for 20's. Just to cobble the brake parts together WITHOUT buying someone's kit (and btw, USA6x6 can lick my a$$) is close to a grand by the time you get done mixing and matching everything.

I agree w/Bob about the pinion brakes. I don't like the idea of heating the hell out of the bearing seals, but that's just how it's going to be for a bit. *shrug* And I'll be keeping a close eye on that.

LTB? Is that the skinny super-swampers?

I have around $5k in my axles,OEM lockers,stazworks beadlocks,and 46" michelin XMLS. still have Stock drum brakes. You can add another $1200 for the 4 custom alcan springs.