Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stub shaft angle questions

Default Stub shaft angle questions

I'm installing a div. case 205 with gearvendors, problem, the output makes contact with the under the front of the bed through compartment. It's either cut it out or move the t-case down, this creates the angle of my concern. The yoke flanges are set at the same angle. Turning it over by hand theres no bucking or binding of the u-joints. Is this angle going to create vibes or premature wear. Thanks

Whoo hoo you got the picture posting down.

that jackshaft is totally out ......... it need to be as close to perfect in alignment as possible from the t-case to the rear of the trans. picture a line going through the t-case up through the trans. ... that shaft has got to come up at least 2" in the rear ( t-case end ) i,ll be glad to send you some pic,s if you send me your email address
    look at the stock m715 jack shaft and thats how you need to make yours .
    bob
    P.S.
    YOU BETTER INSTALL SOME NEW U-JOINTS WHILE YOUR AT IT.

Uhmmmmm no.

While I am confused as to exactly why your tranny is so high or your case so low, the U-joints can probably take that angle. Check w/a Spicer dealer or ask on Pirate hahahha for the operating angle of the joint. If you are within range, you're golden.

Your joint angles are equal there, that's 98.782% of vibe issues (when they are unequal I mean.)

Bob: for my benefit if no one else's, please explain why that setup will not work. I mean no disrespect.

The tranny is at stock position with factory mounts, the reason I have it mocked up this way is because the gearvendors OD adds about 12" to the equasion, with my shackle flip and the added length of the OD my drive line will be about 28" overall with pinion pointing toward cv joint/rear yolk. Just thought I'd cheat and help that angle a bit.

it need to be as close to the m715 angle as possible ( you should have measured it before removeal ) . the shorter of the shaft the more in alignment it needs to be. that is so close to knuckleing now it isnt funny and the torque isnt even applied . shoot for dead on alignment, straight through the t-case, jack shaft, trans thru to the crank . put a short level on the yokes ( t-case- trans ) with jack shaft in and you can line it up perfect and easy . all thats needed is raising the t-case about 2". i also had to cut the x-members in the middle and remove 2" out of the center then weld them back together ( for bottom of cab clearence ) and angle cut the side to match the angle of the frame taper, bolt on the frame mounts to the x-member then weld the frame mounts in place. take your time linning this up its very critical . you,ll be glad you did. a picture is worth a 1000 words. i,d be glad to send you my file on the t-case install. not that i,am perfect i just did a bumch of them and learned with each one . taco feel free to ask any questions when ever you want not a problem pal.
    all my best
    bob
    P.S.
    install a new trans rubber mount before you try to line it up too..... and i bet you the steel mount on the back of the trans is loose where it bolts to the trans. everyone i check is loose. i use studs in them myself . those rubber mounts arnt but 18.00

Thanks for the input Bob, I too ran studs and I also added a couple more mounting ears to the stock steel mount to trans. Ill see if I can get a pic to explain.

Default pics of added rear tangs for trans mount

Here are some pics of my mod. The piece on the left runs up to that ear, I drilled and taped, and the other side is formed around the other side of the retainer/seal housing to be drilled and taped into the back of the case. My trans was all worn and the holes were all wowed out.

Last edited by brute4c; January 29th, 2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: changed spacing

Taco, just to clarify, That is a horrible angle on the joints, and I am betting even though the angles are the same, it would still vibrate, and for sure the joints wouldnt last to long. Just speaking from experiance, as I deal with this kind of stuff daily.

Interesting, interesting.

If that were a longer shaft, those angles aren't all that bad, for say, a driveshaft. You've got me very curious about length vs. vibes now, dangit. More reading! As nothing I own has a divorced shaft anymore, I will take your words for it, Bobs.