Thread: 230 freez plug removal

Default 230 freez plug removal

This has been driving me INSANE! I decided to put in a freeze plug block heater because at my Naper it was like $2 cheaper than one that goes in the bottom hose. So I tried to remove it by hitting it on the lip. That didn't work so I tried hitting it in the dished part and poked a hole in the plug. So a good friend of mine came over with a puller for a timing chain and used one of the things on the side

and used the lip on that and some chain to try and pull it out that way because everything else didn't work. After about three to four HARD yanks, it didn't even budge a smidgen!
    So my question is has anyone ever had this much trouble removing a freeze plug out of this shinning example of fine American engineering?
    P.S. This has taken place over a couple of days and sprayed it with alot of Deep Creep.

Yes,take it out in small pieces until all you have left is the outer lip,then cut the lip nearly all the way through. then carefully pry the rest out,being careful not damage the block. Or a slide hammer might work if you dan get one to it.

Yeah but what the he!! is holding it in there so dang tight? I might just take my Dremel knock off and cut it in half so I can get a pair of vice grips in there and yank it out...

The tension it stays put with and dissimiliar metals corrosion is what is holding it in....

Drill a hole in it about half to 3/4 the size of it and start working the rest out...

would dremeling it out work?

If you re careful and dont mess with the block surfaces...keep the debris out of the motor...sure.