Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and cons wanted

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    2nd: ahhhhh I see.

Ethan: The ECU is usually mounted in or under the glovebox.
    Well Mr. Smartypants, the GLOVEBOX is usually INSIDE the cab. <g>

I never thought about Tupperware. I'd worry about heat, still.

BTW, when are we going to see you this side of the Divide? I'm not buying you dinner unless you haul something for me, though! LOL!

My point was, Mr. Brady, that generally, ECU's are kept out of dangerous spots! hahahhahaha

all kidding aside: There is much to be learned from the OEM's. They spend millions figuring this stuff out, so whenever I can, I apply those kinds of principles. In GM trucks, the ECU is mounted behind the glovebox, you have to take the box itself out to get to it--- but it's right there, safe and sound, and a nice short run to the sensors, so no long harness or anything. That's good engineering!

Ford, on the other hand, mounts the diesel ECU behind the inner front fenderwell, about halfway up. Not a good spot if you ask me.

anyway I'll be heading out as early as I can, so if the weather stays mild, early March. If not, April.

I'll have to do a mock up mounting. I like up under the dash placement. (way up under the dash) I may leave the top off for the summer again. I will try it with the ac box and see how it fits when I start setting it up. The civy ac box looks like the mil glove box may interfear with it. I was planning on bending up a new glove box liner if it does. I would like it to be deeper anyway, as the glove box is going to be home for the radio system. I plan on starting a rewire at the same time. I have been looking for a good place to park the fuse block. I may end up placeing it on a hinged metal plate that swings down from under the dash. Or if it has to go out under the hood I will mount it in a first aid kit box. They are metal and somewhat weather proof. (I found some nice stackable fuse blocks at Advance Auto)

Endless Ramble Over

Default need a part number or source

I'll need a new pilot bearing source or a crossover part for this.
    The truck has a t98 conversion and I will need another one so I dont have to jack with removing one. Is the a stock crossover out there?

A FSJ a/c unit will fit if you unbolt the glove box and turn it upside down. You could cut it up for just enough room, but if all you want is a dry place with easy access, just turn it upside down.

Before you start thinking about all the wasted space under the dash, consider defroster ducts, hoses and the back of the gauges. There is a lot of space for fuse panels and ECU's, you just have to pick your spot with other things in mind.

Oh, on your engine decision. EFI is the way to go. Yes, you are looking at a stone age version of efi compared to the new stuff. But, you are still light years ahead of a carb/points system. The next time you have to sit on a side hill with one foot on the clutch, one on the brake and another on the gas to keep the carb from loading up because the float bowl vent is spilling fuel into the main venturi you will wish you had efi. Plus, the fuel pump, return line, distributor and all the other wiring lets you change to a more modern system with ease if you choose later on.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Some ECU's are mounted here they are due to the need for airflow to keep them cool...if its got a bunch of cooling fins on it, it needs airflow...

Another reason I love the GM deal: no fins!

I agree about the TBI thing, too. I have a Howell based system on my truck and it actually runs great even with the wrong chip in it, running on limp home mode! I switch out ECM's when I take it on long runs. I'm too cheap to buy two chips.

Since TBI, I have never had off-camber angle issues, altitude issues or even a HINT of vapor lock.

I am just finishing my second truck and went with TBI on both for the simplicity and no real up keep to worry about. You can mount it under the dash but still have the problem crossing in high water and washing out the inside of the truck after a good day in the mud. The best thing I could come up with was to use the original wiring harness and did away with all the elctrical that wasn't needed to make it operate as intended. I used a 30cal. ammo can for my computer and mounted it to the flat spot on the inner fender on passenger side, water tight and doesn't take up too much space.