Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reverse lights

The T98 I acquired with m pare 230 has a brake light switch hooked to it...I did this writeup at the temp site:

This T98 has a switch for the reverse lights on it...now I dont know what this setup came from, maybe homemade, and I havent seen what the factory used on T98's that did come with this switch...I just found it interesting and thought I would share. Kinda wonder if some states mandate reverse lights and so this may be of help to someone...

This is the switch mounted in the trans...it is sticking out of the rear of the top cover above the rear output and u-joint flange:

It was screwed into the left, as viewed from the rear, expansion plug hole. This is the rear of the reverse shift rail. I dont know if all T98's have this hole threaded...I doubt it but the manuals arent talking and I have never been in the top cover like that...anyway, heres what this one looks like:

The switch removed looks like this:

The switch, at left, is screwed into a coupler nut, that is screwed onto a stud. On the other end of the stud is a nut that screws tight to the trans case once the stud is screwed in tight. Through the middle of the stud, a "nail" shaft has been placed. This is sticking out of the right end of the stud.

Heres is the switch removed from the stud and nuts and the "nail" shaft below:

When this is screwed into the trans, and the shifter moved to reverse, the shift rail moves back and pushes the "nail" shaft through the stud into the back of the switch...simple enough.

The switch has a ball in the end that the "nail" shaft hits to close the switch and light the reverse lights:

Here is a shot of the "nail" shaft in the stud, standing on the bench:

This is the hole through the stud with the head of the "nail" shaft on the upper left...the outer 2 roughly machined areas in the stud dont do anything...just the nicely machined center hole does...that is what the "nail" shaft seats on.

Closeup of the part number on the side of the switch:

The switch has a name on it but I forgot...will update later...

Seems it would be easy enough to make with the right stud, drill it and put the seat for the head of the "nail" shaft in there, add a switch and a couple nuts and poof! Well....may need to tap the hole in the top cover...seems pretty straight forward though and it could be made shorter than this one using a shorter stud and "nail"shaft.

sounds just like what i have in the cab: my truck is wired with a spring loaded switch located below the dash. this was wired by the FD that operated the truck before i owned it. so what happens is when you shift into reverse the stickshift trips the switch and activates the back up beeper signal and reverse light. the system is fine. i am keeping the switch, removing the beeper and modifying the reverse light that was there, which looks like a tractor lamp or something. now that i see the clear lens on the bucket i like how that looks. it would match my gama goat red lenses. the whole reason i am doing this is because i can not use the stock cat eye type lens-it wont pass inspection in massachusetts, already tried. i think ive got a good idea as to how to tackle this now!
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

Pistolnut's truck has that same switch on the dash.

Are you sure the truck has to get inspected in your state? I ask because I was told mine did and it had to conform to current regulations. I have since found out that it has to comply with what it was made for. In other words, if you bring a stock vehicle to them with everything stock working, it should be legal. Check out your state inspection people online and read the rules and exemptions. Does anybody in your state drive restored Model T's around? Same thing applies to the M715. You are presenting the vehicle to them the way it was built.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

That's right. I mean airbags are mandatory now, too, but that doesn't mean you have to get them installed in a 1967 vehicle to be legal. Reverse lights were not stock on these trucks so they shouldn't be required today.

Of course you live in the land of Kerry & Kennedy, so YMMV....
    -- Tim Taylor

Some places require license plate lights on all vehicles...even if they didnt come with them....seat belts too....

The nazis.....
    -- Tim Taylor

i had to add two plate lights , and there MUST be two (incase one goes out) or the police will stop you and give out a ticket. there is no issue mechanically for it to pass inspection but there are certian requirements that must be met, such as safety, for you and the other drivers. two places i tried to get inspections at failed me on that. its just a pain, i don't care, it gives me the cahnce to make my truck more unique.
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889