Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uglytruckling.com

Default Uglytruckling.com

Has anyone ordered front or rear disc brakes from the "new" owner recently?

I FINALLY have the $$$ for front discs! Yea! I'll be calling them on Monday sometime, but I was wondering if anyone has had contact with them recently. Their website STILL says they're closing.

Thanks guys!

Not recently, it's been awhile. I think they are still doing busines.

i was told the owner was definatly moving to thiland ???? ( cant spell ) but anyway the owners brother was taking over. i was gonna make some but as long as there in business i wont do it. and a GOOD TIP...... tell them to reinstall the wheel studs before they weld the rotor brackets on........ if you dont you,ll have to cut your wheel studs and make a tool to press them in. i ordered several sets a while back and was quite dissapointed with there stud issue . most guys dont have the tools to do pressing and as much as these setups cost and thet HAVE the studs there they could reinstall them for there customers in my opinion .

How do the brakes work Bob? I did my own install on the studs with a press, wasn't too difficult. Also what they don't tell you is the calipers may rub the factory wheels, mine do. Also the welding on the brackets looked like a first time welder had a go at them I was disappointed in the welds. I hope they work or I'll really be bent.

todd, take you old brake drums and have the centers cut out on a lathe to the dia. of the wheel mounting surface then bolt em on like the drum was attached and it wont rub. also the fronts are more of a pain to install the studs as you cant get to the backside of the wheel studs without making a u shaped pressing tool. its a bugger i promiss . your gonna hate to cut 4 good drums just to make spacers i know i was . i did 3 sets of fronts & rears. some of the drums were excellent. if rays out of business i,ll do some but not till then even for myself.

Fish, so you found out they rub? Does that mean you'll have to go with custom wheels?

Also, didn't you buy yours before the guy headed off for Thailand? Or were yours made by his brother? (Or do you even know?!)
    -- Tim Taylor

Uh, how badly did they rub? I have stock centers welded to 16.5" wheels, but I also still have my stock 16" wheels which I might use sometime, too.

From their on-line instructions, it looks like there are holes in the rotor bracket to allow you to press in the studs. A perfect time to investin a 12 ton press, I think. But I *will* ask them to install the studs for me. Thanks for the tip, Bob!

I just hope they have the hubs in stock so I can send them my cores AFTER I get the job done! I don't want the truck up on jackstands for months.

I just read your reply, Bob, regarding the rubbing issue. I wonder if you could machine a "spacer" with the correct bevel to simulate a brake drum. That would save you from cutting up a good front drum that could be useful for someone staying stock.

Of course, there's the whole cost-benefit thing. <g> How much are used front drums selling for these days? I suspect, not a whole lot...

Hey todd, I didn't even think about cutting out the center of your brake drums. Then you would have the factory countersinks (C/S) in the holes, and it would fit for sure. It just depends on how much work it would take to put the C/S in the spacers I made for you. Might be less work if you don't have a friend with a lathe (I thought you did), but it might not.

Boy lots to respond too here. I bought my disc brake conversion from the original guy, can't remember his name. My factory wheels rub only slightly, I had a fellow member make me some wheel spacers that should solve the problem, he made me enough to share so if other people need a couple I just need enough money to cover shipping if Brandon doesn't mind me sharing. Also I have collected enough factory rims I will be cutting the centers out of 5 of these and having some custom rims made so that should also solve the problem. I just can't wait until the truck is finished so I can see how well those brakes work.