Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Bellhousings

Default Chevy Bellhousings

Are the 350 SBC and the 6.2 or 6.5 the same bolt pattern?

Yes , trucks I work on have had transmissions swapped between them over the years .
    Hope you're thinking of the 350 , there are problems with the 6.2/6.5 cylinder heads and head gaskets in my fleet .This spans from the 1991's to 2002's .Other than that , the engines have been ok .

Any Chevy V8 made from 1955 to 1999 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The 2000 and newer Gen III engines along with that crazy Mercury built Corvette engine are a little different.

The Gen III engine (4.8, 5.3, 6.0) have the same shape, but only 5 bolts. The one behind the #8 cylinder isn't there any more. But, you can still use that engine with the old bellhousings.

Now, bellhousings vary greatly. The easiest way to explain it is this. Get the bellhousing that goes with the transmission you are buying.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Mercury-built?????? cite your sources, suh!!! /confederatebattlecry

There is a truck bellhousing with the big bolt pattern for the trans, the car bellhousing with the smaller pattern and the smaller hole, and the BIG truck bellhousing with the SAE pattern. But they all bolt to the generic SBC we're all in love with.

The mid to late '90's Z06 had an engine built by Mercury Marine. I am on dial up right now and know it will take me hours to find what you want, so I won't do it until I have time at work on Monday.

I saw it on a SpeedChannel show about the Corvette a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure, but not sure enough to put it in my original post that the engine had at least OHC if not DOHC.

Besides the options Tacoma mentioned above for transmission mount hole size and bolt pattern. There are also bellhousings out there that have motor mount spots for use in vehilces that just let the transmission hang out there un supported like my '66K20.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The DOHC Z06 engine used in Vettes in the early 90's were assembled by Mercury Marine and used Lotus (or maybe Cosworth) designed heads. Dealerships had to remove the entire engine and send it in for anything more complicated than an oil change.

Interesting... veeeeerrrry interesting LOL

Thanks guys.

dont you mean the ZR1 instead of the Z06? or maybe im wrong?

This may be the only time I know what I'm talking about on one of these forums. The Corvette you are refering to is the ZR1, which was made from 90-95. Mercury Marine manufactured and assembled the engines.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/index.htm

Interesting thing about the Gen III engines is that while they are missing that bolt hole the boss for it is still present AND there's still a hole in the bellhousing for it that you just don't use. Go figure...