Thread: Fuel filter

Default Fuel filter

A few months ago, I ran a chemical fuel system cleaner from NAPA through my fuel tank. Then I changed the fuel filter and saw some good results.

Lately, occurring over the last month or so, I've noticed some hesitation during hard acceleration on the few times I've driven the M715. Today, I changed the fuel filter and noticed a lot more gunk than the previous filter change which occurred directly after the fuel system cleaner.

Granted, I haven't driven the truck much since it's been cold, but this strikes me as a little peculiar. I suspect this means the tank is on it's way out. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Might just be residual junk working its way out. Since it's cold as hell out, I'll skip the recommendation to drain, flush, clean, and flush the tank again.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here goes. When I first got my M715, I immediately had the carb and fuel pump rebuilt. Well the truck ran like a raped ape for about a week. I never bothered to change the fuel filter when I had the stuff rebuilt because it looked brand new.

Well, I then experienced exactly what you described - hesitation on accleration. I had an idea it was a fuel delivery problem. I pulled the seemingly new metal fileter and drained it. Needless to say, it was clogged and the gas that came out was gunky and rust colored.

At that point, I dropped the tank and it was bad inside. Rusty on the inside and the gas looked like tea. Then I pulled the sending unit and the float was rusted solid in the empty position. At that point, I went and got a nice used tank that was about spotless on the inside.

Install new tank and replace filter. Truck runs well again. Then, about a few weeks later, hesitation occurs again on acceleration. Pull the filter and there is more crap in there - but not alot. But I was getting a slight hesitation.

I noticed a gas odor and saw the rebuilt fuel pump was weeping where the diaphragm is sandwiched between the base and the body. I drop the bowl of the fuel pump and there was a bunch of rusty crap caught in the tiny brass filter in the pump. The rusty shavings also cut up the diaphragm inside the pump as well. Rebuilt pump is now history!

At that point, I knew the tank was clean. I checked the steel fuel line and could see it has some rust on the inside, so I went to NAPA and bought a 25 foot coil of steel fuel line and bent it from the tank to the carb.

My reccomendation to anyone with one of these is to check your tank first, your fuel lines, pump, and filters. Mine caused me alot of grief...

I installed an electric Mr. Gasket fuel pump from Advanced Auto for like $36.00 and it now runs 100%. My fuel system in new from tank to carb at this point.

You sound like you are having the same problems that I had.

If you are running the old tank and lines add inline fuel filters before the carb. Even one before the pump would not hurt. There is a lot of gunk in there.
    If you add an electric pump make sure you use a heavy enough wire to the pump that is fuses. Ask me how I know this? It makes lots of smoke, heat, fire.

I agree with Fast Frankie, although my stock tank was relatively clean inside, I was still getting crud at the fuel filters, yes I had two. I removed the tank, cleaned it, amazed at how good it looked. Some crud did come out. I will be installing it soon with new fuel lines to the new engine. Good Luck.

I've got a clear filter under the hood that I keep an eye on, and it didn't show me anything to be alarmed about. But when I pulled the filter off located before the electric pump, I didn't like the look of the stuff that came out the back end.

I ran the truck last yesterday and all appears okay. I guess I'll change the filter again soon and see how it looks. Thanks for the responses.