Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 327amc in 715

Default 327amc in 715

Going to look at a 67 J2000 near me-it has a 327 amc motor in it? Any opinions on a swap into a 715? Thinking it would yeild many other parts as well-radiator, power steering pump etc.

Besides the difficulty in finding parts, I'm all for it. Might make a nice period-correct swap.

Its my understanding that the AMC327 is a torque filled engine-not to mention you dont see them every day. And you cant beat the name-AMC Vigilante. Yeah the parts wont be easy but then what fun would it be doing things the easy way eh? Probably end with more injuries after banging my head on the wall but heck chicks dig scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    Going to look at a 67 J2000 near me-it has a 327 amc motor in it? Any opinions on a swap into a 715? Thinking it would yeild many other parts as well-radiator, power steering pump etc.
    You mean 327 Buick???

Nope-AMC-not chevy nor buick-AMC-They put them in the Rambler and J trucks-Late 60's. If the motor is fubar then it may get a bowtie 327 or 350.

IIRC, nothing swaps between them and the later 304, 360, 390, 401 family. Around here at least, that would make it a white elephant.

It has a different trans pattern than the later engines, too.

OOOH hey I might have a 327-TH400 adapter. It's something, off the old trucks. I'll have to dig that up.

The ld AMC 327 has basically the same bore and stroke as the later GM one...very close...and the year AMC quit making them, GM started...

Isnt there a 287 little brother to the 327...maybe even one more in the family....

You might be better off finding a 70's FSJ with an AMC 360 and TH400/QT.

Easier to find parts for engine and transmission and if you really don't like the QT, you can make it PT and ditch the differential clutches.

This is why I have several QT's and even two in the back of my FSJ right now. I bought them and I'vebeen too lazy to unload them. They make good weights in the snow!)