Thread: sm465/np205 MARRIED or DIVORCED?

Default sm465/np205 MARRIED or DIVORCED?

Got a chance to buy a SBC, sm465 and an np205 already joined as one big unit for my truck. The trans/Tcase is joined solid by an adapter.
    Can I leave the setup as is and install it with just some frame/mount mods, OR do I need to separate the trans and Tcase with the short shaft for it to mount-up and work properly?
    This is all a valuable education for me guys....T

You can't separate the 205 from the 465. 205's come either as divorced (separate from the tranny) or married (attached directly to the tranny). For the married 205, it comes in all different flavors depending on what tranny it is attached to and whether it has a passender side front output or a drivers side front output.

For the 715 you need a passenger-side front output (chevy or dodge). That said, the SBC/465/205 combo is a great setup, but you will need to fabricate your own crossmember mount to support the tranny/transfer case.

Alternative, is you can find a sm465 2wd version that will attach to the sbc and then keep the stock np200 transfer case.

There are many different combinations that have been done successfully. Just depends on what you want to spend and how good your fab skills are.

Thanks Kwai, This setup is all Chev. but currently installed in a jeep, He's pulling it all out for a Hemi install. I'll take another look and make sure it's what I need. Do you remember seeing any pics showing a married setup like this in an M? I'm pretty good at welding/Fab'ing but nothing of this scale before.

Where did my post go???? FNG saw it and I know I posted it. What gives?

Okay, got your post Tacoma, but just for clarity, set the trans with the 205 attached in place. Look it over and start making crossmembers and L shaped brackets? The part I didn't get was: does the 205 get a crossmember too or does the hard mounting to the tranny provide enough support to just let it dangle?
    Oh yeah, what about my M shifters and ebrake levers? Will they work or will I have to let them go away? Will the 205 accept some kind of ebrake contraption like orig? Questions, Questions, Questions...thanks for your patience. T

The stock setup is sufficient for GM's engineers to support the t-case. It is a big "8" shaped adapter, and I never broke one in my Chevy's.

Yes, set the motor/trans/t-case in place. You should just need to make one crossmember, which mounts to the t-case adpater. I am not sure if your M-Levers will work... I think others have made a mounting plate very similar to the stock one.... The 205 can be made to have the stock Ebrake, Spicer did it.

Once you get the drivetrain in, you'll see how to mod the levers. Easier to look at it than explain it. Everything depends on how YOU mount it.

Be strong, Grasshopper!

Thanks a ton, I'll try to log my progression with pic's and post them from time to time. Oh, by the way after I heard the engine start and run the guy said he only wanted 1K for ALL that stuff...Whoo hoo...DEAL!!!

Cool, keep us posted.

FNG,
    A former member did this transmission/t-case a few years ago. I just looked at all my pictures of his truck and I don't have one of the crossmember. Plenty of the engine, but nothing of what you need. Sorry.

Tacoma is right. it is easier to see how the levers go once you have the big parts installed than it is to explain it to you. I was real worried about the levers when I did my 396/NV4500 swap. It took me about 20 minutes to figure them out once I got to that point.

You could leave the NP205 as a single stick shift. That makes it real easy to make the stock levers work. You could also do a twin stick conversion to the NP205. The stock levers work for that too, you just have to mount them next to each other instead of inline. Again, easier for you to understand with the parts in your hand.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Looks like I am going down the same exact path with my sbc350/sm465 married to np205...I havent used a 205 and the linkage attached looks like one lever operates two things, can anyone shed some light on this?
    My other immediate area of concern is what about headers or rams horns, wouldnt the rams horns exhaust manifold drop right on the spicer plate?