Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stock trannsmissions

Default stock trannsmissions

are they any good?.....can they take the power of a chevy 350 with about 500hp?

They are very stout. I have never heard of one breaking because of power transmission issues. No oil and no mainenance, yes. The problem is rpm. A stock geared truck with stock sized tires is going to be turning around 4,000 rpm at 60 mph. You will get around 5-7 mpg.

The kits that allow you to bolt a V8 to the stock transmission cost more than you can find a 2wd 465 for and you will probably break even getting a married 465/NP205 that will require new driveshafts, but you will be able to go as fast and and far as you can afford the gas for.

It it your truck, and you can do whatever you want. Just trying to point out some other options for you.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    They are very stout. I have never heard of one breaking because of power transmission issues. No oil and no mainenance, yes. The problem is rpm. A stock geared truck with stock sized tires is going to be turning around 4,000 rpm at 60 mph. You will get around 5-7 mpg.

The kits that allow you to bolt a V8 to the stock transmission cost more than you can find a 2wd 465 for and you will probably break even getting a married 465/NP205 that will require new driveshafts, but you will be able to go as fast and and far as you can afford the gas for.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4th gear in a 465 is the same 1:1 as in the stock tranny, so unless he swaps the rings & pinions, he's still going to have the same high RPM issues, eh? Or am I misunderstanding something obvious here?
    -- Tim Taylor

i really have no clue...sorry, only 15....but i am her to learn........it has a chevy 307 in it right now, and all chevys have the same bolt patern, soo.....but im going to put 40 inch tsl's on this.....and weve got 2 or 3 turbo 400 2wd trannsmissions, that i was thinkig about swaping, and having the devorced transfercase......but what do you think would be best, im looking for something low geared, but can spinn those tires faster then 60, and can make a 500 mile drive in a day or two

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4th gear in a 465 is the same 1:1 as in the stock tranny, so unless he swaps the rings & pinions, he's still going to have the same high RPM issues, eh? Or am I misunderstanding something obvious here?
    Your'e correct, but Tim wasn't saying otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    i really have no clue...sorry, only 15....but i am her to learn........it has a chevy 307 in it right now, and all chevys have the same bolt patern, soo.....but im going to put 40 inch tsl's on this.....

You may some rubbing issues, luckily Interco usually runs smaller than stated.

and weve got 2 or 3 turbo 400 2wd trannsmissions, that i was thinkig about swaping, and having the devorced transfercase......but what do you think would be best, im looking for something low geared, but can spinn those tires faster then 60, and can make a 500 mile drive in a day or two

Ok. Assuming an actual 1:1 transmission ratio, which you can't actually get w/a TH400 due to converter slip, actual 40" tires, and stock gearing, you'll be running about 3450rpm at 70mph. You may want to save up for a slightly built 700r4.

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    Your'e correct, but Tim wasn't saying otherwise.
    Tim's statement "but you will be able to go as fast and and far as you can afford the gas for" made me think he was saying that with the 465 behind that V8, he wouldn't be limited to our 60 or so mph. I just didn't get it, I guess.

Still don't, for that matter! But it's late....
    -- Tim Taylor

Tim,
    Tacoma and I seem to be the people on here that try to remind people about the relative cost of specific items weekly. One of us will almost always throw in the same cost alternative of a complete GM drivetrain compared to the conversion kits that still leave you with a t-case that can't be driven faster than 50 mph.

That is what I meant about driving as far and as fast as you can afford. With a married SM465/NP205 set up installed on the truck, the only limit to your speed and length of trip would be your fuel bills. Along with the severe case of the shakes sitting on top of a 4000+ rpm engine gives you.

Foodstamp,
    It all comes down to what you want the truck to do. Long trips at 75+ mph? Get another truck, you will have to pump so much money into the M715 to make it reliable that you might as well go by a used truck and save yourself the headache.

Long trips at 40-60 mph? This is your truck. Pull the top off and just enjoy the drive.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Timford: gotcha, I see your point.

Timbarr: even with the new Tcase, the 5.87's are pretty limiting LOL...

I get you now, Tim! Your point is that the stock t'case is the limiting factor. While the 205 would still spin as fast, assuming stock gearing in the axles, it is a more modern design and able to take it better. Gotcha....
    -- Tim Taylor