Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm joining MVPA

Default I'm joining MVPA

Met a local guy with a bunch of WWII trucks (WC-5?, MB and a deuce). Nick and I drove the M715 out to the meeting last week of the West Sound Military Vehicle Preservation Club. Interesting in that it was the first time I'd taken the M715 on the freeway (did great!) and at night (headlights aimed too low!) That blackout curtain I had Judith install over the rear window was FANTASTIC!!! You guys are NUTS not to get that done, if given the chance!

So anyway, I'm signing up for the MVPA and crediting the WWII truck guy for recruiting me. I was looking around their website and found a couple of technical advisors for the M715. Here they are:

1 ¼-ton M715 - Richard Goldberg, #6221
    Warren Duchesne, #5135

I don't recognize either name as Zoners. Anyone heard of them? You'd think the Zone should be mentioned there, huh?!

Any MVPA members with kids they signed up for the Jr. membership? For a one-time $15 fee they're members until they turn 16 and get a few Jr. publications.
    -- Tim Taylor

I'd be careful. You do know about the ridiculous decisions the guys controlling the MVPA made recently? Check over at SteelSoldiers. There's a banner link that pops up from time to time that details what has been happening. I don't think anyone has gotten to the bottom of it yet and I wouldn't support an organization like it is currently.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Can you give a brief synopsis of what's going on? I don't do SS.
    -- Tim Taylor

Of course, I need the membership to help get the Collector Vehicle insurance policy. I had used the M715Zone.com and they looked at the site and found we drive off-road at our gatherings. That didn't sit well with the prudes. So I was going to omit the Zone and just claim MVPA membership to justify taking the truck to parades, etc. But I can always not renew membership, and skip the Jr. membership.
    -- Tim Taylor

The higher-ups in the MVPA decided to pass laws or rules that don't let the members vote count for anything. With control out of the people's hands, the big guys get to make all the decisions. This is a QUICK overview and I'm sure I missed something, but it is pertinent new members should know.

Tim,
    It is a tremendously messed up organization right now. They have a board that was elected to manage the group. Most of their rules require that the membership vote on important decisions. The board members rewrote the rules so that they can appoint who they want to the board and that not much anymore needs to be voted on by the membership. Using political science terms, they went from a democracy to a dictatorship last summer.

That may not matter to you since you are going to spend $30 or so a year and save hundreds a year in insurance. But, if you try to get involved expect to be walking in quicksand with lots of alligators in the bushes.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks. Good to know.

Well, it seems to me that a member they lose would be noticed more than a member they never get, so I'll sign up. At least for now.
    -- Tim Taylor

Just letting you know, in my opinion, if you don't have a WWII vehicle, you mean nothing to the MVPA. Several others feel this way too.

I'm a member of the MVPA and enjoy the publications more than anything. I have to agree with maddawg that if you collect M series your the red headed step child. I don't know about the politics as I don't keep up with that stuff, but I feel my money isn't wasted.
    Zone holster maker

I also am a member,and yes the magazines are worth the price of membership. They also have some cool jackets , hats,and other stuff. They also have a big annual convention ,that has a large bunch of vehicles to look at.