Thread: radiators/hoses

Default radiators/hoses

I have a small block chevy motor in my 715,the truck came with an almost new stock radiator for the inline 6,the top hose was easy find the lower one has been more of a challenge.two things will this stock radiator cool enough for driving around town and the trips to the lake,if so anyone have a NAPA # or what ever # for a hose?? I thought about cutting and putting an elbow in but would prefer one piece.

I swapped in a Transpro radiator, # 433289, designed for a '67 chevelle 396.

I had to use flex hoses, as I couldn't find a standard one with the right bends.

I have a .030 over SBC 400 in a 725 . Running a 195 thermostat , stock radiator with shroud and a clutch fan . In 95 degree weather and stop & go city traffic it only went up to 205 while sitting still .

180 stat , schroud, fan and it will work perfect

Your results may not be as good with a stock radiator.

You should be able to cut a little off the stock lower hose to make it fit the small block. Buy an upper hose for a '76 Chevy truck with a 350 and a little trimming on the end of your choice makes it fit just fine. That is with the alternator on the passenger side. If you have the alternator on the drivers side, you may need to support the hose a little to keep it out of the belt.

My 396 Big Block drove in the Texas heat with the stock radiator, but trips more than 10 miles at speeds higher than 40 put it in the 215-220 range. I installed the big Chevy pattern aluminum Summit radiator and haven't seen more than 200 since except for when my 14 month old flex hose blew up on the way to the Texas FE. I don't recommend flex hoses to anybody.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

thanks for the info it makes life so much easier after a day at work,to go relax and plug away on a progect.