Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divorced NP205 Mounting Bracket

I did something similar and it is has held up well. I think I used 5/16 plate, but I'm not wheeling or anything and really not planning on it. I just couldn't get my NP200 to stop leaking out the parking brake seal, hence no real working parking brake. I drive mine on the highway a lot and figured I was overheating the 200 so I replaced it with the 205.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All the pictures look great. I don't think there will be any issues with what is getting built at all. I too had to hang my 205. And I will be watching it over time. If I ever have to remake it, I will make the whole upper bracket one piece. Bdubya, Along with GM 205's, Dodge also had divorced cases as well as International. I used an International 205 with big 32 spline output shafts. So that should open up the possibilities. And some people think these are worth stupid money. If pictures in the ad show it sitting outside, be wary of water in the case. Mine had a gear that was not usable. I spent a fortune getting mine up to excellent condition. Because I have a hard time with just good enough. Same with my T98 I drove 16 total hours to go get. It had a bad second gear and it was from water and rust. Ebay had all the parts I needed.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
    Thank you for the compliment on my workshop. Believe me, it's nothing special other than I have a hidden sit-down toilet (next nearest one is 600 feet away).

I just picked up the transfer case in 2022 and transmission in 2023. The deals are still out there. I've found you just need to be on the lookout. Last summer I was also able to score a never used, still in the crate (NOS) kingpin Dana 60 for $250.

I created my new brackets using the original brackets from the NP200 as a guide. After clamping the transfer case frame assembly to my welding table, I plopped the NP205 onto the table and starting moving everything into place. From there, I prepared blueprints, ordered some plate A36, and started bending and drilling. I think the biggest plus is having access to an ironworker to bend the plate.

Attachment 3815
    The pics are exceptional! This really helps me understand what Im looking at quite a bit more. Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    All the pictures look great. I don't think there will be any issues with what is getting built at all. I too had to hang my 205. And I will be watching it over time. If I ever have to remake it, I will make the whole upper bracket one piece. Bdubya, Along with GM 205's, Dodge also had divorced cases as well as International. I used an International 205 with big 32 spline output shafts. So that should open up the possibilities. And some people think these are worth stupid money. If pictures in the ad show it sitting outside, be wary of water in the case. Mine had a gear that was not usable. I spent a fortune getting mine up to excellent condition. Because I have a hard time with just good enough. Same with my T98 I drove 16 total hours to go get. It had a bad second gear and it was from water and rust. Ebay had all the parts I needed.
    That does help, thanks. The prices for these t-cases are all over the stratosphere. I see $250 to 1800 for these. Married, divorced, Ford, GM, passenger drop..... It goes on and on. Some look beat to all get out and some just dont look right at all but are listed as NP205. LoL, some of them are so caked in mud and rust you can barely tell its just a t-case.

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    I did something similar and it is has held up well. I think I used 5/16 plate, but I'm not wheeling or anything and really not planning on it. I just couldn't get my NP200 to stop leaking out the parking brake seal, hence no real working parking brake. I drive mine on the highway a lot and figured I was overheating the 200 so I replaced it with the 205.
    Some more fantastic pics! Yall score some pristine looking 205s, or maybe yall are rebuilding them and cleaning them up real well. Either way, yalls installs look really nice.

Thanks for sharing some photos eightydeuce. Our setups are very similar. I'm upgrading to the NP205 for similar reasons; however, I am doing so more for preventative reasons.

I'm finished with the low-side bracket and have some minor tweaking for the high-side bracket. One thing I must do for the two high-side bolt holes is enlarge them from 7/16" to 5/8". The smaller size isn't gonna cut it, so I ordered a tap, 17/32s drill bit, and new PTO cover gasket.

IMG_2038.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
    I'm finished with the low-side bracket and have some minor tweaking for the high-side bracket. One thing I must do for the two high-side bolt holes is enlarge them from 7/16" to 5/8". The smaller size isn't gonna cut it, so I ordered a tap, 17/32s drill bit, and new PTO cover gasket.

IMG_2038.jpg
    Mike, that looks awesome! I apologize if this sounds stupid but, just to clarify, you bent and welded up that black bracket? The drawings and specs you used for that, would you be willing to share those figures?

Yes, I made the bracket. I need to make a couple of adjustments to my design, then I will post the drawing. This may take me a couple of weeks as I am going into finals at school.

Here's the final assembly...

I was planning to install it a couple days ago, but need to hold off until my shoulder feels better. I strained it installing my new leaf springs.

Hopefully, everything lines up correctly. If so, I'll consider this project a success.

IMG_2067.jpgIMG_2069.jpgIMG_2070.jpgIMG_2065.jpg