Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewart warner southwind Multifuel heater

Post Stewart warner southwind Multifuel heater

Hello all, I'm trying trouble shoot a problem.i installed a multi fuel heater in my jeep. Was a NOS kit from 1984. I believe it was from a cucv or similar. Im running the heater with fresh diesel. Everything was going great untill today, now i can only get it to run for five ish minutes for it stalls with a loud groan. Wait ten minutes and it'll be ready to fire up again and will do so like nothing happened. Doesn't matter if it's on low or high. The pump doesn't shut off and the electrical is good so it's not popping a breaker that i can tell. I have less then zero experience with these things. So what should i be looking at? Once i get this problem figured out I'll post a step by step of installation.

Do you by chance have a Technical Manual for the heater? I have a couple of the fuel heaters and have never installed them because they scare me to death and it never really gets that cold here. But, I did search and find TM’s for them. The TM’s I found had troubleshooting sections. That should be your first go to in my opinion. The next is Al, Kaiserjeeps, who is in Idaho and had one of those heaters in his M715 years ago.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Not for this heater. Im not even certain about what it came out of. And the few TMs i didn find just lists problems and the solution is "Replace heater" or "service heater"

Is there a data plate on it anywhere? There should be a number on that plate. That is your starting point.

Another option is to ask over on steel soldiers. Larger knowledge base to chip in.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Is there a data plate on it anywhere? There should be a number on that plate. That is your starting point.

Another option is to ask over on steel soldiers. Larger knowledge base to chip in.

This is the data tage the information doesnt find me much
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK. That heater was used or possible to use on the M715, M35 and CUCV trucks among others. The TM’s for those trucks should have some reference to the heater. I don’t have time tonight to go looking it up. Here is a link to a vendor that has the manuals for free download and viewing:

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

Mine was a gas fired heater. It was not a multifuel. So I am not sure how I could help. Mine was NOS from John Bizal years ago. It ran well for a couple years then started giving me problems. Like fuel smells and stubborn to start. I took it apart and cleaned the igniter parts a few times. It was loud as heck but made some serious heat. Honestly it made me nervous also. And I see they are non existent now. I do see the fuel pumps on ebay now and then and they were all 300 plus. Crazy what prices are now. I don't think I paid 300 for the whole kit.

For this gas fired heater I installed new. I still have the massive blueprint for the heater. It was not really instructions but an exploded view. The blueprint was I think 8 feet long or better. If someone wants this blueprint I could find it and send it to who ever wants it. It was starting to fade and I folded it up and put it away. Just say the word... I don't need it. Jon, could this be a valuable thing to put in the manuals????? Jon gets first pick folks..

A much better heater for these trucks is one out of a J truck or a wagoneer. I am landing one right now today. I will post up probably tomorrow in my build thread. I got rid of the vacuum can control and converted the vacuum cans to push pull cables. I also had custom decals made for all the controls and the heater decals are now for sale at "Vintage Reproductions" under Jeep. That is my tire pressure decal for wagoneers also. ha. So the heater cores are not really correct now. They are 1/2 thinner and require something under the hold down straps to keep them tight. And another bad thing is they are manufacturing these heater cores with the 3/4 and 5/8 pipes on 3 inch centers. They should be 3 and 1/4 to fit the heater box holes nicely. Well some careful elongating the holes to ovals in the core mounting plate and the heater box fixed that. The early 80's fans come in a fiberglass housing with a much bigger fan. Mated to the early heater they will MOVE air. All the foam can be purchased from Mc Master Carr to rebuild the selector door seals. Get the self adhesive backed extra soft foam. I just got a new ebay aluminum heater core today and it was supposed to be brass. I am now waiting on a brass heater core yet again. Aluminum will corrode very quickly with electrolysis with residual voltage from older coolant. So I avoid aluminum cores. The brass one is from Rock Auto and is an "Agility or APD 9010085" That is what I know about getting a heater in a M715. I have a couple used FSJ heaters that would need cleaning up. I would probably sell one if I were bribed appropriately. I am by far the most long winded member on this forum. I think I win that one. Hope this all helps somehow.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

My heaters are for my Gasser M35’s. I have a few of the multi fuel heaters as well. I found the TM9-2320-361-34 section 17 deals with the fuel fired heater maintenance. But, not troubleshooting them.

TM9-2320-289-20 for the CUCV’s has a little more detail about how to work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    My heaters are for my Gasser M35’s. I have a few of the multi fuel heaters as well. I found the TM9-2320-361-34 section 17 deals with the fuel fired heater maintenance. But, not troubleshooting them.

TM9-2320-289-20 for the CUCV’s has a little more detail about how to work on them.
    Thanks everyone i figured it out (for now)! The controls box had a faulty terminal connection and would loose connection. I replaced it and seem to have no issues now!

Al,
    I will be glad to try to figure out how to add that to the site...always a way...Ill pm you my address if that works for you to send it...thanks for the offer!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!