Thread: Changing both axles?

Default Changing both axles?

First, I have 2 m715’s. One is stock, original. I’m leaving it as is. Second one is rough shape. My plans is to begin to make several changes. A friend has a Set of axles front 10 bolt dana 60 and rear 14bolt 3/4 ton 410 gears for $1,000.

Would this be a good starting point in making changes to the drive-train? I’m just wanting a truck that has highway speed. No rock climbing, mud bogging. Occasional off road maybe.

Thoughts, opinions?

Cowboy

I think the 10 bolt Dana 60 might really just be a 10 bolt Chevy copy of a Dana 44 if it came from a 3/4 Suburban or “light” 3/4 ton truck. The rear 14 bolt probably is a semi float instead of full float rear axle. They used to come as a matched set is why I write this.

If in good shape and not driven like a crazy person those axles with 35-40 inch tires on the M715 should be great. I have the same axles in 3.73 on my 3/4 ton Cowdog Suburban. Just last weekend I used it to trailer my M715 a ways to a military vehicle event.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for info Barmann. Got long road ahead of me. I did pick up those axles for $500! Also acquired a np205 for $200 and a 4 speed manual transmission for $200. Not decided on a motor yet. But open to suggestions.

Open to suggestions on this forum is you want people to talk about what they have.

I daily drove my M715 for 2 years with the stock drivetrain. Then I swapped in a 396 Big Block/NV4500 over a weekend and daily drove that for another year or so. The 396 got hurt and I swapped in a 6.2 diesel 10 years ago. The stock truck was great and is actually better than most people think. The high power Big Block was a riot. However, once I stopped daily driving the truck gasoline age and all that goes with it started being a problem.

Diesel has been the best overall. It can sit for months, fire up like I drove it an hour ago, chug down the highway at 52 mph all day long, climb any obstacle encountered in low range with ease and as long as there are semi trucks, there will be diesel fuel for sale.

My suggestion is that you figure out how you want to use the truck. Anything requiring comfort or controlled temperature inside the cab should be dealt with by getting another vehicle. I went to the m1009 CUCV trucks for that. A M1009 can also drive 70 mph all day long and is better off road than a M715 in my experience.

I have been to 2 military vehicle gatherings the past 3 weeks. The M715 is what I took. People are drawn to it like a magnet. I am in no way trying to talk you out of a M715. I am trying to point out what I have learned through experience.

Any diesel without a turbo is a dog compared to the stock M715 230 engine. If you have hills in your area then plan for a turbo or think LS.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw