Thread: Not surprised

Default Not surprised

The shipper dropped off my new M725 here in Florida from Wisconsin. It looked just like I left it a few weeks ago except it doesn’t start; just sputters and coughs.

The fuel and air situation is good. Before I found only 5 volts were getting to the distributor from a bad primary ground, I opened up the distributor to take a look.

Whatever I did with the distributor made it worse. Now there is no spark, coughing or sputtering.

So, I am going through the process of figuring out what I did when I opened up the distributor. I have on hand a new coil, point set, rotor and condenser. I also have a Pertronix kit I might put in later after I get it running with the conventional ignition. The distributor insides are familiar looking just like the M37. I don’t have all the M715 manuals yet so I’m going to use what I see on this excellent website augmented by insights from the M37 manuals.

I’ll report back once I have it figured out.

All the manuals are available in the M715zone Library, you can either download a copy or view it right there. And yes the internals of the distributor are the same as the M37 and are set up the same. Make sure the small wires from the coil are making good contact and don't have any broken spots. I have also had a cap and rotor go bad before and cause a truck to lose spark.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thank you Dave for the advice and referencing all of the manuals. I totally missed that tab. This is a great forum!

I fiddled with the distributor today. The coil tested good, points looks new and rotor was fine. I don’t know how to test a condenser so I replaced it. The truck started right up.

Unfortunately, there is a consistent miss so I’ll need to run that down.

Otherwise the truck drove fine, but a bunch of brake fluid pumped out of a back brake cylinder. So, I guess I’ll get some kits and fix all of the brake cylinders.

Oil pressure stayed at around 50 psi. Seems high. Going to have to read up on that.

It didn’t overheat so that is a win.

The gears 2 through 4 shift smoothly. The clutch shudders starting in second gear. Maybe oil on the flywheel? Maybe it will get better. Likely I’ll have to pull it apart and fix it, but it is drivable now.

Batteries don’t hold a charge. That’s easy. I’m also going to clean up all of the grounds since the primary was so bad,

One low beam is out. Tail lights don’t work. So far, so good.

It sounds and smells like my M725 I had back in the 1990’s which, by the way, I would like to find some day.

Nice to hear the progress. I think I might have a couple wheel cylinder kits. I don't have any OEM axles around here. They are older kits and I am not sure of the condition. But if you PM me your mailing address (complete) I will send you two kits.

The rear main seals are notorious for leaking and could have soaked the clutch...definitely worth checking that out...

Congrats on getting her delivered and running...off to the races!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Got your PM.. 5 kits headed your way..
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Thank you KaiserJeeps!