Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing window glass gaskets

Better start making more popcorn Jon. Like a barn full. UPS was supposed to deliver a package from restoration specialties yesterday. It was a no show. The package has been sitting at my destination hub for two days now. They have changed the date twice now to make it appear that it just arrived. A call to UPS says it is on the truck and they will be here shortly. Tracking says that is not the case. So by now everyone can assume that the three samples from Steele did not work. They didn't ... So I have the samples from Restoration specialties to check. And I ordered 4 different samples from Metro Moulded parts. There is one at Metro that on paper looks like the right size. But it has no glass groove. It is a bumper filler strip. It looks perfect for what we need. I have been experimenting with cutting rubber channels. Sketchy but possible. I will see if I can nail this. If it can be done I will find it. If not I know where a set of wing windows are for only 400 plus bucks.

Both samples from Restoration Specialties and Metro showed up today. I have found a gasket that will work with an additional self adhesive filler strip on the inside.

The winning gasket is from Restoration Specialties part number 944830-WS
    A filler strip like this one from grainger will work fine. 50 feet means you might have some extra...

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...ip-Flame-6YLU7

No adhesive means it will probably work it's way out later causing frustration and a remork. Get the sticky stuff.
    It takes about 8 feet to get around both wing windows. I would order 10 or 12 feet to allow for poorly cut corners and a do over.
    The inside filler strip needs to be 3/16 thick by 1/2 inch wide and should be outdoor rated neoprene with self adhesive on one side. Sticking it in means it won't migrate out later and you won't fight it on assembly. Paint your frames, clean your glass and stick in the filler strip then assemble the glass and precut gaskets. And enjoy.

10 samples were tested. Fit was based on glass grove width, seating all the way in the M715 frame, filling as much width of the frame as possible, and having a glass grove deep enough to not need smaller glass. One of the seals had a lip trimmed off to get the basic shape. And having an outer lip to keep rain out similar to the OEM seal. The inside did not matter other than cosmetically. And none of anything I found had the correct width and a short inner lip to cover the metal frame edge. I don't care if I see it.

Steele
    70-3286-99
    70-2092-99
    18-0003-93

Restoration Specialties
    700A-WS
    706A-WS
    944830-WS ****Winner***

Metro Moulded parts
    LP-31
    LP-31-C
    LP-30-K
    LP-109-C Good fit with no glass groove.

Here is the OEM seal and the winning gasket next to it. Glass placement is very close to original. The OEM gasket looks taller because it is cut at a 45 degree angle while the new seal is cut straight.

Here is the best fit with Restoration Specialties 944830-WS A machine cut filler strip will have clean good looking uniformity. My exacto knife cut filler looks like pooh. The hobby plywood is roughly .020 thinner than our glass. Our glass measures 7/32

A very good outer lip like the original.

Lots of poor fits like this. Essentially rejects.

BTW..
    Restoration Specialties also had the short compact black basket weave windlace for the door frames and the back of the cab lip.
    Part number 294164-WS

Well there you have it. I will order up what I need and start practicing corner miter cuts.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 5th, 2023 at 09:14 PM.

Dang...all the info AND pics AND part numbers AND sources....

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!! Super Al!! You deserve a raise!

(Good timing, the popcorn was starting to get stale...)
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Awesome info. Thanks Al.

How's the snow pack up there?

A couple feet down. Lots of rain and 32 degree temps. It is nasty heavy wet snow. I broke a trip spring on the plow. Replaced all three and I just can't plow some of it anymore. The truck (1/2 ton 79 chev) bounces and I will snap an axle if I keep trying. What I am trying to say is everything is just SUPER... Spring will be here soon enough.

Nice work, and great write up!

Thank you, When it comes time to rebuild the wing windows and land the glass, I will post up the details. It may be awhile with me selling my home soon. But I will follow up eventually.

I will be bookmarking this page, going to be needing it in the near future! On the same subject of the vent wings, maybe everyone already knew this, but I recently discovered while looking for a replacement for my plastic runners on the side window glass that it is an almost exact match to the same one found on a Jeepster. The screw holes are off just a little, otherwise it is perfect.

Good to know and thank you for passing that on. When I restored a 70 wagoneer I was able to find all the glass run channels with some long evenings spent searching. I was able to rebuild the parts and had great success. Now the internet is not much fun to search. To many amazon ads and the little guy has been shoved out. Thank fully I have a box of receipts and part numbers that still take me to those sites... Anyway. I have had some coffee this morning. LOL
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Have you replaced the material the roll-up window rides on? Mine is almost completely gone, can't even tell what it was. Referring to the window channel felt.
    Last edited by Eric Thompson; April 4th, 2023 at 04:24 PM.