Thread: Need help - Brake distribution block

Default Need help - Brake distribution block

Hey everyone -

I asked about it a while ago in the "wanted" section but I can't seem to find that post anymore, so sorry for bringing this up again here.

I am looking for a brake distribution block that mounts to the frame under the master cylinder. I left mine on the frame when it got sand blasted and it looks bad. The plan was to give it a try anyway and see what happens. So since I am now to the point of bleeding the brakes - sure enough, it leaks under pressure.

So I have been scheming ways to substitute it, and I have come to a dead end. I can use some inverted flare T and adaptors, and I think I can get the lines to work but I run into a real problem with the brake switch. I cannot find a 3/16" male inverted flare to 1/8" NPT adaptor to mount the brake switch to the T. I have reached the end of the internet, I have scoured the auto parts stores, I visited a Parker hydraulics shop and they all come up empty. So that leaves me with throwing out another request -

Does anyone have a brake distribution block? Maybe lying around on an old frame they aren't using? Or maybe in a pile of parts after a disk brake swap?

Your help is appreciated!

It mounts at the red arrow (the block is removed in this photo):

I'll see if anyone responds, but if not I can crawl under my second frame and see if it still attached. You can have it for free.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Have you tried Midwest Military? I see under the Dodge WC brake section a distribution block that looks very similar, even with the mounting tab. It’s a long shot but might work. Scott

Thanks guys!

Gonz -
    If you could take a look and see if you have this part, that would be great for me. I will send you a PM in a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    I'll see if anyone responds, but if not I can crawl under my second frame and see if it still attached. You can have it for free.
    Scott in CT -
    That is a great find! Thanks for pointing it out.
    https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/pro...ylinder-tee-2/

Most of the ports are not the right size but with a few adaptors and a custom bracket, I can make that work. It at least has the 1/8NPT for the switch. This will be my plan B if Gonz doesn't have the part.

Thanks again!

I know when I had to find one, I went to the junk yard and found an old Wagoneer with the single line master cylinder like the M715 has stock and it had the same piece on it...thought I found gold...

I think 66 was the last year...maybe 67...in the civvy trucks...but if you find a J10 or Wagoneer from back then, it is the same piece.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

AT: IM me your cell or email, and your mailing address. I want to send you a picture so I don’t send you the wrong part!
    Come and take it

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    AT: IM me your cell or email, and your mailing address. I want to send you a picture so I don’t send you the wrong part!
    Thanks Gonz!. IM sent.

An update/conclusion to this thread -
    Gonz was able to help me out by sending me a brake block (Thanks Gonz!). After letting it soak in penetrating oil for a few days to loosen up the old fittings, I had a nice looking brake block.

Put it on the truck and tried bleeding the system - it leaked like crazy. But, it turns out it wasn't a fault with the block.
    After doing some more reading, I found out that stainless steel lines like I am using are notorious for leaking. It seems like there are 2 basic options: 1) Torque the heck out of the fittings, or 2) Install some "flare gaskets".
    I had already tried 1) to stop the leaks and I wasn't comfortable with any more torque.
    so,
    I bought some flare gaskets from Grainger:

They fit in between the fitting and the line and since they are made of copper, they squish just enough to seal in the way stainless can't. I was able to torque the fitting a lot less and get it to seal.
    Once I was able to bleed the system enough to get any pedal pressure, I found that almost every joint in the system that was stainless started to leak under pressure. So each joint ended up with a flare seal.
    I was finally able to bleed everything down and get a decent pedal, without any more leaks.
    I would love to see how well the brake works on the road but that would require my truck to run...

Anyway, it seems like my brake distribution block worries are over now. Thanks again Gonz!

Good job. I didn’t know they made flare seals. I’ll have to remember that. Scott

That looks a lot nicer than when I pulled it, lol! The copper seals are a great fix and I was more than happy to help out. If you need anything else just holler- I think I'm still way ahead on the swap ratio.
    Come and take it