Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine stumbling when accelerating

Thanks for the responses! Ive been stuck waiting for an ethanol tolerant carb rebuild kit I ordered off of ebay.... Took For-Ev-eR to get here
    but it arrived earlier this week. I rebuilt the carb in my 715 when I got it running two years ago, but used a NOS kit. Also purchased some new wix professional inline fuel filters ( i really like those ) and will replace those, they are two years old as well. I reworked the fuel system 2 years ago, but will check the lines. Will also pop open the distributor and check inside for the springs! Hope to get to these things this weekend time allowing. Thanks for the suggestions, I will follow up when i track the culprit down. Happy Fathers Day!

- Damon
    Last edited by Nomad; June 16th, 2022 at 10:31 AM.
    Rooster - Del.Date 1-68 3G2080

Fixed!!!

I started with the carb, pulled it apart. the 2 year old accelerator pump and economizer looked good, as well as the rubber tipped needle. Put it all back together with a new kit and it was puking gas out the top. Popped it back open, cleaned the needle valve housing out real good and reassembled. Would not idle. Took apart and reassembled several times with no luck idling. Finally i compared my old accelerator pump to the new one, and the new one had half the idle circuit port blocked where it left the metering block and entered the carb body. Swapped to the old one, boom. Idling! Took it for a test run and it runs down the street with full acceleration, problem solved! Its hiccupping a couple times when i first start to ease on the gas, but i haven't really tuned it besides setting the mixture screw one turn out.

Im guessing it was an issue with the needle valve not letting enough gasoline flow into the carb and after half a pedal it was starving itself out?

Thanks for the tips and replies!

- Damon

Edit - Pulled carb again, swapped the accelerator pump rod from hole 1 to hole 3. Seems to be running smoother, little to no hesitation when gas is pressed. Need to get choke butterfly buttoned up, this might have something to do with the hesitation. Took it around town for a half hour drive, it did very well.
    Last edited by Nomad; June 23rd, 2022 at 09:29 PM.

Running good...thats great!! Soon we will get pics of great off road action??
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

lol, maybe. I always seem to break something when i take my rigs offroad!

- Damon

Isnt that the fun part??
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!