Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana 60 kingpin

Default Dana 60 kingpin

So, my son managed to find a good deal on a dana 60 off an 85 Chevy. Messaged they guy and he said it probably needs a break job and pinion bearing to be replaced.

Had it shipped across county and it arrived yesterday. Upon arrival….found it needs more than a break job and bearings.

Pressure washed it and moved inside. Now for the good. The tubes and pumpkin seem solid and that’s about it.

The bad - a lot of scaling rust on both the inner and outer knuckles. Both knuckles are rusted seized and all the bolts seem to be rusted solid to the knuckles. Going to hit them with some heat and an impact to see if I can get them torn down.

My question is, paid 800 for what it seems to be a decent pumpkin - so know we got hosed fairly well on this. Can anyone offer advice on how to salvage this? We are in the Houston area.

I’m pretty comfortable with stripping it down to the pumpkin and tubes, but am not set up to weld on new inners.

Needless to say the kid is super bummed and last time we ship something cross country. Any feedback is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean about welding on new inners? Are you saying that the rust is so bad that you need to remove the “C” welded on the tube? If you don’t have an oxy/acetylene setup it might be a good time to buy one. That kingpin can be a royal PIA to remove. 7/8 Allen key and I think the factory torque is 600ftlbs. With heat, some patience, and some brute force you’ll get it apart. Don’t give up on it.

A few pictures of what I am talking about. Will be interesting to see if these bolts will break or break loose.

There might still be one in Gatesville. I think it has 410 gears. I saw it before I found the cucv. If I have a chance I'll go look this weekend. That axle looks pretty rough but may can be salvaged. I'm gathering parts to rebuild mine. I have a 14 bolt I'm looking to get rid of if your interested. 456 and Detroit locker.
    Project Rhino 5/4

Was able to get a couple of bolts broke loose tonight. Soaked it down with penetrant and will let it set for a couple of days. Won’t really know until it gets torn down.

You gotta pull the hubs and spindle off before you can tackle the kingpin and lower bearing. The axle looks pretty rusty but I wouldn’t call it a total loss. There’s a guy around me that sells these axles all the time for 1500 (over priced in my opinion) as is straight out of the truck.

Read this article it’ll take you through step by step.
    http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ild/index.html

Thanks for all the help guys. My son is really into documenting all of this so we will be posting pics/Timelapse of tearing it down.

Hope to start getting into it this weekend.

Parts for the 60 aren't overly expensive and pretty straight forward to rebuild. So as long as you can do it yourself you'll have basically a brand new axle for a reasonable cost. People that have these axles know what they have and very rarely sold for cheap money anymore.

The removal video was not PG. Had to cut the shim for the caliper out.

So, found the joints on both sides are rusted seized. Started to take the outer off today, but some of the bolts are stuck, so letting them soak for a bit with some pb blaster