Thread: Distributor destroyer

Default Distributor destroyer

I'm trying to figure out if I've just had 2 bad distributors or there's another issue with the motor. First distributor came apart internally after the retainer clip under the rotor button came off, allowing the rotor button holder piece to move upwards, which allowed the advance weights to spin freely, breaking the advance springs, and the truck died. Towed it home, found all of this damage inside the distributor, repaired and went out again. Apparently, the retainer clip I found to use didn't work so well and it happened again. Then I bought a "refurbished" distributor. It looked good and I opened it up to verify point gap, tightness of screws, etc. I verified the advance weights and springs. Everything seemed in order. After installing the new distributor I drove about 2 miles. The truck idled fine, but lost power as speed increased. Returned home and while truck was idling I noticed a clicking noise coming from the distributor. I removed and opened up to find the advance weight springs broken and one of the spring attachments broken off of the advance weight retainer plate. However, the retainer clip under the rotor button was still intact. Also, the advance weight pins on the retainer plate are loose and wiggle around. So, on this distributor, I'm thinking I just did not check it well enough. I just dropped in another distributor I took out of a spare engine I picked up last year. Before I start my truck again, I was hoping for some advice and/or feedback about other possible problems. Anyone ever seen anything like this? For some more background info I have good fuel flow. New tank, lines, fuel pump, and rebuilt carb. I pulled the rocker cover and checked the valve clearance. I've pretty much followed the tune up section from the manual. When the truck ran before the first distributor incident, it worked well. Good power, good oil pressure. Since then, it still started fine, idled fine, good oil pressure, just lacked power as speed increased. I'm sure do to no operational advance weights.

Thanks,
    Scott

Wow...what a run of bad luck...

I have never seen the advance weights be a problem like this...rusted in place and wont move but not this.
    Seen the pin fail before, unfortunately...but how would the motor have an issue that would cause it, dont think thats an issue.

I have seen where people have problems with the gear that drives the distributor but that sure doesnt seem to be involved.

New one on me...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for the input. Right now it appears I’ve had 2 weak distributors. I put a spare in and so far all is well. Truck runs great. Finally.

Thankfully...

If you find anything in the other 2 unexpected, let us know...that how we learn...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

After 2 short trips, less than 20 miles combined, another distributor has come apart. This time one advance weight spring broke, and the retaining pin of one of the advance weights came out of the weight. I saw it lying next to the condensor when I took the distributor out. The only thing that clued me in to something wrong was the random clicking noise I heard from the distributor when I pulled back into the garage. I now listedn for it. Other than that, the truck ran fine. Plenty of power. The truck starts easy, idles well, accelerates well. The only indication that somethings wrong is it sometimes hesitates after shifting from 2nd - 3rd or 3rd - 4th. Very slight. No bucking or stalling. Just like it doesn't want to take the gas. It smoothes out and moves on. I checked this distributor before installing. All seemed in order. No binding. Springs were intact. Weights worked as they should.

I apologize for the long post, but my irritated level is off the chart. I'm not an engine builder. What puzzles me is how can an engine run that smooth, but something appers to be applying torque to the distributor to cause this problem.

I'm pretty stumped as well. I would disconnect the coil, take off the dist cap, and have someone turn the motor over to see what's going on in the distributor. Does the distributor shaft look true and straight?
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Distributor shaft looks good. I chucked the distributor in a drill and ran it. All worked normally. Reinstalled and checked it in the truck. Again, all normal. Bolted everything back up, checked the timing and went for a drive. Truck ran great. Good acceleration, power going up a grade. We're back on the road. I talked with a distributor shop and the owner pointed out that the only way the springs normally break is if the weights escape the limit set by the weight pin in the cam. Makes sense. Which leads me back to mechanical failures inside the distributor. I haven't found anything that could make the distributor vertical movement allow the weights to escape the cam other than the retaining ring under the rotor button coming off the shaft. For now, we'll drive and see how it goes.

Holy cow...can not believe this...dont even have a clue what to add other than glad its running (for now) in a normal way...hoping it stays that way...

Man, what are the chances!?!? That is just crazy bad luck, but hoping you got it all resolved!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun