Thread: Bubba Mods? Or correct?

Default Bubba Mods? Or correct?

My first M715 and I picked it up from a fire department in West Plains, MO. Large liquid tank and pump in bed with plastic gas tank and fuel pump for truck. I'm trying to get it back to military parade level and need some help in what is original and what is Bubba. I'll try to post pics, but it will be my first attempt to do so, so I'll try to explain as well.

First...inverted tie downs on front outside of cargo bed, one in each forward corner. On trailers, these would hold a trailer electical cord, but I can't figure out what these two upside down tie downs secure.
    2. Approximately 3" hole on passenger side of cargo bed between tool box lid and rear fender. I've seen a pic of another Kaiser with a second jerry can brakcket in that position, so I can't see if the hole is original or Buba. If original what was the purpose?
    3. Bracket on dash in blank area where data plates are located. Sheet metal screwed into place with two sheet metal screws through dash. Approximately 4" open space at top and bottom and pretty solid steel, so holding something heavy. Bubba?
    And, 4 ...just a pic of the truck as it sits undergoing clean up. If you see anything good, bad or ugly, now is the time to let me know.

Thanks in advance...

1. The two inverted hooks at the front of the bed are correct and original. They are for cinching down the ropes from the canvas cargo cover. There are two farther inboard that the rope first goes to and then back to these two outer ones to be tied off which is why they are inverted.
    2. Bubba mod, on the passenger side there should be no large holes from the military. Only small bolt holes if it had the extra fuel can holder or if it had and antenna mount.
    3. Bubba mod. fire department probably had radios mounted there.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thanks, Dave. The pic I saw of the 715 with the passenger side jerry can, I believe, is yours. I'll plan on putting one on this truck to cover the hole. I'll leave the dash bracket on for now. We are building troop seats and cleaning up bed and side rails to weld up extra holes and clean up stake pockets. I'm getting ready to place an order with you for the markings. I want to mark this for my brother's service in the Army in 67 but I am getting his death certificate so I can get his unit info from the VA. So I'll have to elave the unit markings off for now.

One question for anyone...I know this truck did not have a grill, per se, other than the brush guard. But, was there some sort of expanded steel grate or mesh guard in front of the radiator? Or was it just the brush guard? Seems like a lot of road rocks would get thrown up into the radiator if no secondary screen.

Dave's decals and stencils are top notch!

Answer to your question, just the brush guard, but they sure could have used a secondary screen that's for sure.

Whenever you get to fixing up the dash, there was an optional rifle mount that looks really cool.
    Here is mine.

I do have the standard M series two piece weapons mount installed behind the drivers seat bacing the cab quarter corner. I put two in my MUTT, one on each side for a driver and passenger to carry a weapon. I may install a second mount in my Kaiser behind the passenger seat for the same reason. I had some holes in the rear skin of my passenger seat and non on the skin of the drivers seat, so I installed a fire extinguisher bracket and extinguisher on the back side of the passenger seat.
    One other item that might be a Bubba mod...there is a toggle switch on the front of the battery box for the electric fuel pump and a push pull light switch so I know those are Bubba mods, but there is also a large key that can be removed and only allows the starter to be activated. It does not energize the coil. Once the truck is started, the key can be turned off and removed and the truck will continue to run. But with the key off, the starter switch on the dash will not engage the starter bendix. No foot starter switch, Bubba put a military looking toggle switch to push in and turn left or right to engage the starter. I'll leave it for now.

Manual states that the fire extinguisher is located on back of drivers seat, and the decontamination bottle on the back of the commanders seat.

Last edited by jeepdan; March 29th, 2022 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

I think I see a grease smudge on your door lock. dude have some pride will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by teking View Post
    I think I see a grease smudge on your door lock. dude have some pride will ya?
    Thanks, I will try to take a little more pride in my work.
    Looking at the door jamb photo, we still need to figure out away to reproduce that metal reinforced rubber sealing block.

Blog Entries

Absolutely. I asked for the schematics the one member came up with so I could submit them to the online company he pointed out. On my dime. No response.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk