Thread: Super Swamper Bogger

Default Super Swamper Bogger

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post. 👋

I have read as much as I can find on this topic here before asking but I still have a few questions.

First off, does anyone know what sizes tires and wheels are on the black C.V.O. M715?

I want to use the largest Super Swamper Boggers with the least suspension modification as possible.

I read that 42.5" will fit with minimal suspension and body modifications using factory axles and custom wheels from Marsh Racing Wheels.

I would like to use stock axels but Marsh Racing Wheels are out of business and I haven't found any other companies that do what they did.

What's my best path forward to accomplish this?

Thanks

hmmm...well...I will give you this caveat...

The front axle isnt so strong that putting that large a tire on it and wheeling it will let it stand up to the stress...the Dana 60 front axle used in the M715 basically has a Dana 44 axle shaft...heres a response I got from an author who has written a book on Dana axles...he asked for a ton of measurements and when I gave them to him, he sent this:

It's a very odd combination of parts. The inner axle is about the size of a common Dana 44 of today, though bigger than the Dana 44 of the era in which the axle was built (most D44s of that era were 19 spline). The outer shaft is the same as was used in the Dana 70 axles of that era. The U-joint measures out to be a beefy 1480 series u-joint, most likely a 5-88x Spicer. This is a common joint used in closed knuckle Dana 70s to the mid 1970s and similar to the 5-332x size used in the open knuckle Dana 60 fronts used from
    the late '70s until today.
    Internally, the M-715 axle is similar to the Dana 60s use the the front axles of some high GVW Ford F-250s and F-350s in the '74-76 Ford, though the Fords had much smaller u-joints and smaller outer shafts. In '77, the Dana 60 fronts went to the more familiar and much more beefy 1.5-inch, 35-spline inner axle and 1.31-inch, 30-spline outer shaft. The Ford units mentioned earlier are known as the "Wimpy-Sixties" because of their small axle shaft dimensions and small axle u-joints.
    The way I see it, the inner axle is the main weakness of the M-715 D60, and I presume that's where they break most often. It might be possible to substitute a more modern 35-spline Dana 60 inner shaft, perhaps a blank axle cut to the right dimension and resplined. You'd have to then install a 35-spline carrier (perhaps a Powr-Lok) or at least 35-spline side gears. Without all the parts laying here to compare, it's hard to say just what could be done, but it's likely there are a number of other "mix-n-match" improvements that could be made internally without changing the exterior look.
    42.5 will fit but if your gonna wheel it much, I would upgrade at least the front axle...

Diamond Racing Wheels in Milwaukee, WI has made wheels in any size from 15 to 24.5 inch for the M715 pattern...

Dont know whats on C.V.O. M715...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Oh...and there is an axle mod to the 35 spline one of our members did...tech page here:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=35_spline
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Thank you!

Do you happen to know what size and offset I should use?
    I plan to use 15" wheels, will that clear brakes etc?

Off the top of my head I dont but I know its been done...might be able to search the old posts and find it...let me look...

The link below is to an old thread but I personally know the members who give the tech and I would bet its dead on...they are saying 4.5 inches of backspace with 15 inch rims...5 would be awful tight...

15" rims

Thanks for all the great info!