Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet "Sarge"

Default Meet "Sarge"

Trolling the interwebz for LJ stuff I ran into this... what is this thing? An M715? My wife, who is as awesome as they come, looked and said "that thing is cool, you should buy it". How often does that happen?

It followed me home. Really closely, because it was on a trailer.

The loose plan is for this to be a project for me and one of my boys, we have a few years before he's driving, but he really likes it. The truck is a real basket case, cobbled up fire risk wiring and the worst repower install that I've ever seen. Right now there is something wrong with the clutch, it is violently stiff! No matter, we'll pull out the Ford 360/T18 and reinstall a proper straight 6. Although this time it will be a 300 Ford. I would consider an AMC 258, but think the extra cubic inches will help.

Wish us luck as we embark on this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome! Looks good!!
    Thanks for all the help!

Looks like a great starting platform...hope it comes together nicely!
    I would take the Ford 300 over the 258 as well...cubic inches yes and that 300 is just iron tough.

Where in southern Indiana? Anywhere near I-65?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Yes, Bartholomew county, about half way between Indy and Louisville.

We got the bend mount bolts removed this past weekend. Next up, pull the front clip off, then the cab. The cab and bed will go to be blasted. I'll be looking for a set of rust-free FSJ doors to modify for the truck, and will have to cutout and replaced rockers and cab corners. Thankfully, no rush.

near exit 41? In my trucking job, I end up parking at the marathon station at the 41 exit at times...might be able to meet up...

I have an old friend who lives near Bloomfield, IN...hoping to meet up with him there sometime too...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Negative, exit 68/76 area. PM me if you're going to be in the area, you can check out the project.

Talked to a dustless blasting outfit yesterday, going to take them the whole mess, in pieces.

Up around the Columbus rest area...gotcha!

Welcome to the fold. Be sure to post as you go. We all love watching the rebirths.

Will do. Progress will be sporadic on this one, there is no real time crunch.

We've got the truck in the shop now, started removing the wire harness from the back working forward. It's a combination of original and hack job, as expected.

I've sourced a dana 300 transfer case for the project, so have that to report too. I'm looking for a fuel injected 300, and a ZF 5 speed. Any help is appreciated.

I think I figured out the clutch problem yesterday, while removing the vehicle wiring harness. Looks like the clutch release fork ball is missing, or maybe pushed thru the fork. Either way, the fork is up against the bellhousing, moving the pivot point outboard, which explains the high force and need for the redneck spacer (socket) someone had jammed into the release rod/fork interface. This machine is full of hillbilly fix factor.