Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 68 M715 Warthog build

Well said - even the Army didn't like stock M715s. But they make awesome project builds.

Finally got around to getting the engine test fit done.
    Yea...I think my truck is smaller than some of your trucks

Such a tight fit, other builds using this engine made it look easy.

Was very tight or contact between both corners of the NV4500 bell housing and the firewall. The rear lifting ear on the driver side was solidly against the firewall. The front diff is close to the oil pan, but not sure how much space I will need to be safe.

Seriously considering the need to move it forward, but concerned about radiator clearance. I know the mechanical fan will not be staying, but the best I can tell I have it in the same front to rear position as other pics I have found.

Open to thoughts, criticism, or any advice.
    A4x4Junky

I happened to watch a youtube video this last weekend on an M715 being rebuilt with a 6bt (I think) that was sent to Kuwait. Pretty detailed rebuild, and they cut out lower middle firewall and welded up a new wall. Maybe a good video to watch?
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    I happened to watch a youtube video this last weekend on an M715 being rebuilt with a 6bt (I think) that was sent to Kuwait. Pretty detailed rebuild, and they cut out lower middle firewall and welded up a new wall. Maybe a good video to watch?
    I watched that video and wish I had the patience, budget...and talent
    A4x4Junky

Wow what a pain the rear this weekend was.

Stripping down the engine to reseal it and take a look under the head.
    Had to use a puller to get the injection pump off and managed to break the hardened bolt off in the gear before it released ...

Had to drill out the hardened bolt to use an extractor which...broke.

Tried, but couldnt get the piece out and couldnt drill it. Picked up a carbide grinding bit to grind through that. Took a bit to get going, but managed to get all the way through.

Grabbed another extractor and...yea, broke that too

Got through that and decided to grab another drill bit and open up the hole a bit. Didnt want to risk messing up the threads, but what I was doing wasnt working.

Stud extractor #3? It worked

I read somewhere that every 10 minute job is one broken bolt away from taking 6 hours. Yea...it sure was.

The good news was the condition of everything I saw inside. Spotless. Cam looked great, cylinder walls looks very good.
    Confident enough I can reseal and put it back together.
    A4x4Junky

Engine finally resealed and completed my Krylon rebuild.

Happy to have the engine and trans back in.

Front diff clearance has me ... concerned.

Others have but 12 valves in their 715s...so Im assuming either I installed in a different position or there was ... something else done to get around this?
    Not looking to lift higher.
    A4x4Junky

Default TCase mounting rails wanted

Working through putting the divorced NP205 in.
    The longer transmission with slip yoke is pushing the whole thing back more than I had hoped for, but Im pretty sure I can get it done with no floor modifications.

Im looking for the rear transfer case mounting rail.

Im in the Charlotte NC area, but willing to drive ... probably more than I want to admit or have it shipped.
    A4x4Junky