Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 M715 Warthog build

Default 68 M715 Warthog build

Hi all. Been a member for a couple years...lurking in the background trying to soak up any information I can.

I saw a modified M715 quite a few years ago and fell in love. The stance and bold look really made me want one. I love the stock look too, but really wanted more of a restomod. More modern engine and axles. Didnt want to worry about paint colors offending the purists. Found and bought my 715 a couple years back. Was the perfect canvas for me as it was already modified...I cant be held solely responsible for changing this one from stock

The Chevy 250 I bought it with was a disaster. Cracked head, crankcase full of ugly milkshake. Bought another 250 and got it running. Was fun to kick around at 40ish MPH, but I want to be able to take this out further.

Picked up a 98 6BT with NV4500 and an old Dodge divorced NP205 and a set of CUCV axles.

Decided to start yesterday. I put the 250 in over the core support, but that was a real pain. Long engine and I was really unhappy with holding it that far over the truck. This time I wanted to pull the front clip.

Most of this came apart really quickly and I was amazed with how easy it was. My only headache was the wiring through the core support. Previous owner made changes to the wiring which forces me to cut and redo some of their work.

Looking forward to this...at least for now.

Edit ... apparently I have to figure out the pic thing...any advice on getting the images to show up as more that just a clickable text link?
    Last edited by A4x4Junky; February 20th, 2022 at 08:02 PM.

there are no M715 purists. we all like a good quality build.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    there are no M715 purists. we all like a good quality build.
    Good to know. Some groups get irritated when you make changes.

As for good quality build...I hope so. Long way to go.

I knew I had seen your truck before. It was about a mile from my house when I took this picture several years ago. IMG_1151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew I had seen your truck before. It was about a mile from my house when I took this picture several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    I knew I had seen your truck before. It was about a mile from my house when I took this picture several years ago.

Nice

Thats the area I bought it from a few years back.
    Ive seen pics of this from the northeast and there was another from an internet search for warthog m715... thinking another previous owner.

Guess this thing gets around
    A4x4Junky

Trying to decide on how to handle the front axle.
    Its a CUCV D60 that I had intended to go spring under.

Not looking for the truck to be any taller. I have about an inch of clearance getting it into my garage now.
    Seen multiple people that ground in clearance to weld in spring pads and had planned on that...but would it make more sense to go spring over with shorter springs? Wouldnt the end result be the same height truck only without the need to modify the axle?
    A4x4Junky

Even if you could buy a spring to keep it the same height you’d have to modify your frame to move the spring hangers inboard. CUCV D60s perch locations will not line up with the M715 spring hangers as they are outboard of the frame. The CUCV springs were mounted directly under the frame. The D60 drivers side is simple to modify to keep your SUA, it’s the passenger side that you’ll need to get creative. I few people on this forum have done it including myself. I had the same garage clearance problem myself, but like the look of SUA truck anyways. Swapping to SOA is too tall for me.

Been busy at work for a bit, but happy to have had time this weekend.
    This first pic is a set of mounts for the 6BT I wanted to copy...

I dont have the tools to make them quite that pretty, but basic tools got me at least close.

Spent the rest of my time cleaning up the mounts the PO put in for the Chevy.

Getting closer to test fitting the engine
    Last edited by A4x4Junky; February 20th, 2022 at 08:15 PM.
    A4x4Junky

Spent more time on the mounts...more than I expected.

Got around to working on the test fit.
    6BT with NV4500 is a heavy package...my hoist was not thrilled.

Up over the core support and ... didnt have enough angle to get the trans in.
    Back out it came. Reset the chain and made a couple improvements...and ran out of time.

Guess that is what next time is for.

Someday.
    A4x4Junky