Thread: Th400/torque convertor install ??

Default Th400/torque convertor install ??

I was looking into some tranny fluids and found that you are supposed to put at least 1 quart of oil in a torque convertor before you install on tranny. Well, I didnt do that and the tranny is installed. I called a tranny shop and the fellow said he has installed convertors without oil sometimes. He said to fill tranny up ,of course, and start pouring fluid in when he motor starts because the torque convertor will suck the fluid out and burn the pump up. I guess the TH400 holds 11-12 quarts.

My torque convertor is new and I dont think there is a drain plug on it where I could fill. Tranny is newly rebuilt also.

My question is , should I drop the tranny and fill the convertor or just add fluid as it starts?

I have always put in as much fluid as the converter will hold when attached to the flexplate because I am paranoid about burning up the pump. However, I have a friend that just put a new TH700R4 in his Monte Carlo and he forgot to fill the torque converter. He asked me what I thought he should do and I told him that I thought he should drop the trans. He decided he didn't want to do that and basically did exactly what you described (adding fluid as soon as he started it) and he has had no problems. Also, did you remember to put some fluid on the front seal before you installed the trans so it doesn't burn up?

You'd better fill it up.

Dont stress over it, You wont damage anything. BUT, before you start it, dump 6 qts in the trans, and open 5 more. Have them setting close to the truck. As soon as you start it, dump the 5 qts in. Check it, and fill accordingly. By the way, I worked in a couple tranny shops back in the 80's, for a few years, and this was common practice.

Don't remember ever putting fluid in a converter. Just fill the tranny before starting, then go ahead and add as needed. Won't hurt a thing.

Suggest filling TQ as much as possible and install onto trans . TH400 dry with TQ and a deep pan should hold about 14 quarts .