Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Top question

Default New Top question

I have to order a new cab top, should I go for canvas or vinyl?

Wow...that's really personal choice. Both have their good and bad points. Canvas tops take a little more care than a vinyl top does in general. But canvas beather and I think is cooler on a hot day than vinyl. But canvas is cooler on a cold day too. Canvas has a different smell and some people like the smell of canvas over vinyl. Canvas has more give than vinyl and will conform to the truck more than the vinyl will. Vinyl can be left out in the elements a lot longer than canvas will and will resist rot more than canvas one of the main reasons the army switch to vinyl in the first place.

I think you have to decide what is going to be best for you and your application.

Good luck.

And the biggie is that vinyl is roughly $100 cheaper! But it does tend to have a funky semi-gloss color.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Someone has been selling canvas tops on ebay. No wait, item in stock. I paid $265 I think, but the next one he ran sold for less(if it met reserve, I forget) so the days of waiting a month for someone to manufacture to order appear to be over... I just like the look of the canvas better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
    And the biggie is that vinyl is roughly $100 cheaper! But it does tend to have a funky semi-gloss color.
    I have a call in to Beachwood about the milspec vinyl top. Did you get a price on one? Could not find a price on their website.
    I think I have decided on a color scheme for my truck. Tan (Mil semigloss) with OD vinyl top summer and a black hard top winter. The hard top I picked up from spicer needs a little more attention and after its done I will most likely use bedliner on it to mask the seams and welds. I hope it will also deaden the sound some.

He used to have a PDF. catalog and price list up on the site but appears to have taken it down. I have a paper copy, but if he took the online one down there probably were a few price changes. Give him a call, he's a good guy to talk to, especially if you know old Mopars, lol.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

beachwood is $325 for canvas and $199 for vinyl (special price ).
    6 weeks for either.

I ended up ordering from surplus city, $265 (canvas), in stock.

Default ordered

ordered mine this morning when they opened VCP MIL. GREEN
    195.00 price was a bonus

When I was debating going with vinyl, the folks I was talking to (I think it was Webee Webbing) told me the vinyl expands and contracts (due to temperature changes) a great deal and promised me I would not be satisfied with it.

They sent me a sample and I really liked the material. I went with canvas in the end though. One of Judith's last.
    -- Tim Taylor