Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

I'm at work, but I started looking through the M715 library above at photos. If I remember correctly, the original gas carriers were thinner and lighter metal, and there was a discussion that involved Mr. Barrman. I would assume the Feds made sure aftermarket carriers were thicker metal since they're carrying explosives. Or they made sure it wouldn't fit off the shelf (snicker).
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I think that discussion happened at the 2008 FE Mark. I have a civilian Jerry can mount on one side of my truck and a 20 year old military issue mount on the other side. Someone noticed the difference in thickness. The civilian is thinner in my case.

My 1953 REO Gasser M35 had a mount on it that was just as thick as my current military issue one for reference.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Well one thing that comes to mind is the offroad jostling I am sure to have. And the weight of a gas can breaking that weak civi one I have. It is very thin and hardly up to the task. It does not even look to be 19 GA. I could make one. It would probably burn up a week. Does anyone have one they could sell me for this project? A quick pass through the bead blaster and a coat of paint and I'd be set.
    I thought I had everything. This is bound to happen. Most grateful for the replies guys. Thank you.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Do any of you guys have a set of calipers? And could you measure how thick the metal is? That would tell me if I should be looking for another thicker one. If the MV ones are indeed thicker...
    Thank you ahead of time.

Never mind... I in a glimpse of pure something that I am not sure of, I remembered I had two can holders in the back of my M101 trailer. Sure enough, they are probably double the thickness. And this problem is solved...

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; December 6th, 2023 at 02:08 PM.

I will measure in daylight tomorrow. You want mm or inches?

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

My battery for the micrometer was dead this morning. I have to run errands and will pick up a new one. Report back later.

My truck still has it's original gerry can holder that I can measure for you if Barrman hasn't already,

I have another gerry can holder that I was told, came off of an armored vehicle which is significantly heavier steel.

It will be Saturday before I get a chance again. Sorry.

I got it solved guys. The M101 trailer had two in the back just inside the tailgate. Right behind the wheel houses. They are indeed thicker that the super thin red ones I have. I think I will just remove one of them and shot blast it and paint it tan. I suppose now the question would be " did the M101 trailers have these can holders from the factory" or did someone add them? I don't mind taking one out... I sure appreciate the replies though. You guys are sure helpful.

I had a look at a newer Jeep with a gas can holder on it. It had a fairly open holder with straps and a locking upper strap. It was heavier than I figured it would be. It was kind of cool. One of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14537642555...Cclp%3A4429486

I want the traditional can holder though. I have two sets of locking straps for the OEM holder. Time to stir the paint.