Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I’m glad to read it isn’t just me that puts 5 pounds of filler on to only have about .001 ounces left after I sand it. Thanks for the support Al!
    Glad to help Tim.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

After days of sanding it was getting hard to see what still needed it. I decided to spray it out. I got the dash and cab done. It revealed the last remaining work. I will try to do that today. Outside temps allow me to heat the shop to the needed temperature to paint. Soon that will be a challenge.

The cab had 4 or 5 layers of paint on it. Lots and lots of deep paint cracks. I sanded for almost a week. It looks great. I put new seam sealer all over it.

I need to clean my shop. My small paint area walled with plastic is full of moving boxes. I am very bummed my home did not sell. I need to get the boxes out of there and reuse the booth. It is what it is. Glad I have the truck to focus on.

2 coats and these are done. The black blotches are dirt in my camera lens. I can't get it removed.

I hope to have the bottom side of the bed painted today by end of day.

I degreased the underside of the bed and wire brushed then sanded some of it. I would hope this is the last time I ever have to do something like this.

Ready for paint.

The forward hat channel had all this inside it. They boxed the ends in at the factory and this is a mistake to do. It should be open. I found bolts, rocks, nails, screws, sand, rust, 22 shell casings, and a real live old school can pull tab. An antique!! This was a very messy job with compressed air. I followed all this cleaning with eastwoods internal frame paint using a 3M long spray wand inside the hat channels. I am not impressed by eastwoods internal frame paint product on other rigs. But it will slow down corrosion. I might even spray cavity wax in there. A 3M product that is awesome and works well.

All done under here. The bed topside and tailgate still need a ton of work. It is very thick metal. I doubt it will be perfect or even close. It is a wheeler so who cares..

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; October 16th, 2023 at 10:21 PM.

Nice looking job.
    Wow, I need one of those lifts.

I sprayed the inside of my trucks rocker panels with the Eastwood Internal Frame Paint. Have you seen it fail over time?

I worked on my late wifes 2006 4runner frame. They actually had recalls for rusty frames. I washed, rinsed out all the silt loaded with magnesium chloride (de-icer on the hiways, and they use it as a binder in the gravel.) , and sprayed the insides of the frame rails with rust encapsulator on the outside and internal frame paint on the inside. I then bought a mess of rubber plugs and closed up every single hole on each frame rail except the bottom side and inside holes. 43 per rail. Looking under there it looks like the rust encapsulator is junk and not impressive at all. So the internal frame paint seems ok but I expected it to slow down the rust creeping better. Honestly to be accurate I need to pull some caps and have a look again. I have a borescope too. I kind of feel most of eastwoods products are overrated. But that is just me.. I too sprayed the heck out of my new rockers with internal frame paint.. What you should do next is buy some 3M cavity wax AND their 3 pack of straight spray wands. Follow the paint with that cavity wax and you will never have rust again. It creeps and seals oxygen out. That is what I am doing now that the cab is painted. Everything 3M makes is incredibly effective.

The lift is a serious very handy tool. I am taking it with me when I sell. If I ever do that is. They make some pretty well priced import lifts. Mine is a bendpak and I got it before every price in the world went up. They are stupid expensive now. Don't buy anything less than 10K lift capacity.

Yesterday was a hard day for me. I primered the entire bed. I lost my best friend that day. This is not a fair world for sure. God has her now and she is safe. Thanks for posting. I often wonder if I am talking to myself again.

What timing. We are supposed to be about 15 degrees by Friday. I have a hard time heating my shop for painting at those temps. But I have a small enclosed plastic room for the smaller parts. I think I can make it happen. All that is left is the windshield, grill support, and hood and fenders. Today I will lift the bed up and out of my way. I need to bring the frame in and take apart the rear leafs. Shot blast them and coat each leaf with slip plate. Fisherman did this to his spring packs and it rode like a cadillac. More later.

Beautiful work; your craftsmanship and attention to detail is apparent. Thanks for the updates.

Thank you MightyMike, just don't look to closely.. Where can I find pictures of your truck?

So I got the axle spring pads welded on with some 7018 rod. Then went after the spring packs. They need a lot of work. The slip plate between leafs will be .....uh well pretty slick. I wish I had a bigger bead blasting cabinet. I have wanted to make an extension on the end for years now. I will have to sand the longer leafs.

I am so close to loading the frame with lines and landing the engine and gear boxes and bed and cab. This is the fun part.

Dang these are thick!

Looking good Al.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw