Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Sounds like a great "neighbor"! Wish I was close enough to be one...course, I'd probably drive you nuts after a week or so...

Still getting snow here...if it dont quit soon, Im gonna have to start blowing the piles into semi trailers and taking them to warmer climates to melt!!
    That is nuts. I was 16 this morning. I am still getting flurries but for the most part it is melting off. The open area of the yard has 15 inches? The woods is still waist deep. I tried to cut some firewood yesterday. I sank a hundred times. It wore me out.

My engine block might be no good. The old cam wore into the block face by .055 and it is messed up. I am probably going to have to pull a 73 motor from the house garage. I already had a peek inside it as the intake manifold was not bolted down, and the cam is sitting right where it should be. The old cam lobes were just about hitting the neighboring lifter in the original block I took apart. I am bummed about that. Oh well... And I met Glenn yesterday morning. He saved the day with a rear T98 bearing retainer. Sure glad for that. Thanks Glenn. I hope to clean it up today and paint it. And I need to have a look at the factory manuals to see if there is a short bushing on that mounting ear. The brace has a wear mark for what looks like one. I will make one on the lathe no matter what.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    That is nuts. I was 16 this morning. I am still getting flurries but for the most part it is melting off. The open area of the yard has 15 inches? The woods is still waist deep. I tried to cut some firewood yesterday. I sank a hundred times. It wore me out.

My engine block might be no good. The old cam wore into the block face by .055 and it is messed up. I am probably going to have to pull a 73 motor from the house garage. I already had a peek inside it as the intake manifold was not bolted down, and the cam is sitting right where it should be. The old cam lobes were just about hitting the neighboring lifter in the original block I took apart. I am bummed about that. Oh well... And I met Glenn yesterday morning. He saved the day with a rear T98 bearing retainer. Sure glad for that. Thanks Glenn. I hope to clean it up today and paint it. And I need to have a look at the factory manuals to see if there is a short bushing on that mounting ear. The brace has a wear mark for what looks like one. I will make one on the lathe no matter what.
    If there is a bushing I don't think it is on the transmission as I looked when I took it off as I was going to bring it too.

I bet there was not one originally. But there will be soon. Thanks again Glenn. I intended to get some paint on it today as I soaked it overnight in solvent. But I ended up digging the 73 buick 350 out of the garage. I got it moved to the shop and set up another table. For once I got a little blessing out of it. The motor has been rebuilt, has a performance tag on the rebuild stamp, and I found pistons that were super close to flat top with only an .080 dish on top. The other pistons have a .230 deep dish as well as every piston I have put in a buick motor the last several years. That is almost a 1/4 inch deep. So this motor is a high compression build. The rods and mains were spotless. The cylinder walls had minimal flaws. The cam even looked good. The block cam thrust surface is untouched. Crazy cool.. Now I am having trouble finding .040 piston rings that are not moly. I have never had a moly ring set seat correctly. I was looking for chrome on ductile iron. Chrome is the best ring for dirty environments. Dirt roads etc. Cast iron rings are to brittle and ductile iron rings will flex and not snap. Inventory is hurting everywhere it seems. That is the price for being greedy and farming everything out to china. I hate see the result of that now because I am paying for it. But doing that was just plain stupid. Anyway, this motor should make a lot of power. For pump gas.
    My shop is a raging greasy mess. It's buick 350 emporium...

I can't find my camera.. And I can't use the pistons I pulled out of motor number two. They offer to much compression. The engine builder and I agreed 10.3 to 1 compression is not going to do well on 87 octane fuel. If I was building a race car and using race fuel then they would be fine. But I am not. So he wanted to see the block and crank from motor number two. So he could get a specific brand of .040 piston. So back I went today to drop off the bottom end of motor number two and pick up the first motors crankshaft. Fortunately he had not had it machined yet. The good news so far anyway is both sets of cylinder heads look pretty good. I will lap the valves and use the heads from motor number one. The guides have been replaced and are perfect. The block on motor number two had two bolts stretch on me. The old jeep manual says 110 ft lbs. Well remembering the dana 60 front carrier bearing broken bolt I quit trying for torque. Sure enough two of the main bearing cap bolts were 1/8 longer. I am sending 4 measured replacements and a valve spring from both sets of heads to be measured. I don't want heavy springs. They will wear down cam lobes, I am tired. More later..

I am currently waiting on the motor's bottom end rotating assembly to come back. It may be a while. Prepping the parts that bolt back on it I would like to get it done, painted and covered.
    Meanwhile I found this picture of my first truck. 1968 serial number 30945. I hauled a few tons of veterans in parades in this truck. It was a joy to own. It was sad to see all my work reversed. But here it is.

Motor number two is junk. The block is bad as was motor number one. The motor was previously bored .040 over and who ever did it bored them out of alignment. The machinist tried to bore it to .060 and it would not correct. So I am removing a 1970 buick 350 from a J3000 I have in the yard that is not savable. I hope the motor is usable. 1970 was the best year for the Buick 350. The highest output motors were only made in 1970. 71 and up they started detuning them. I guess I will cross my fingers. Frustrating...

Working on motor number three. I removed a buick 350 from a 1970 truck in the yard. Imagine my joy at finding it was a rare 1970 only SP code motor. The most powerful buick ever made at 315 HP out of the factory with no modifications. With the engine rebuilder waiting I stripped it down. Then I found this. A great big freeze crack. Boat anchor number three. I just shake my head...

I found a 72 350 in Oregon. It will be a 14 hour round trip drive, but I need to get this mess solved. I need to work on my home and garden. I will have to put the truck away soon. What a deal.

pin it

You can't pin thin cast iron like that. Pinning works great on thicker castings like a cylinder head but not this block. It is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    You can't pin thin cast iron like that. Pinning works great on thicker castings like a cylinder head but not this block. It is junk.
    Diesel engine blocks you can usually pin but they are lots heavier. Looks like you're 3 for 3 in Buick engines. Does that mean you're out?