Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

I am still hoping to have some type of get together. When the ground firms up after the thaw. And I think I may stay put this summer. I am not sure yet. I have two jobs to do. A new trunk pan in a BMW 2002 Tii and a restoration on a 71 CJ-5. And I am really struggling with moving into washington state. The politics are disgusting. They are turning it into an extension of california. I won't say any more for now. And I will know more later. One day at a time.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Drivelines are ordered. 1350 series 2.5 tube front with CV and shortening my 1410 3 inch tube rear. 1000.00 ouch.. I think this is the last of the expensive stuff. And I am putting in metal fuel lines for both tanks to selector valves under the side of my seat. I will be able to move fuel from one tank to the other while driving. Just like my CJ.

Wow, drive line prices have sure gone up. What shop is doing them?

Murl's down off of Freya st in Spokane. He had a lot of good reviews. Shop is clean and he seems to know what he is doing. I think he is overcharging though. Dennys Driveshaft could build the same front for 600+ with a twist or breakage guarantee. But a 6 week wait and I guess they have staffing issues. Meaning there is potential for someone without experience making my stuff. Denny's is in New York and Murls is local. So I decided to stay local. At Murl's, I am having a 1410 rear shortened about two inches and balanced. So I can't say much or I guess complaining about price never helps. It will get done and hopefully no vibrations. I did a LOT of reading on U-joint angles and general knowledge. Since the rear always climbs under cruise power, I set it 0.7 degrees low. The front axle will rotate down with drive pressure. It is set about 1 degree high since the flat chevy springs will be much more flexible than the stiff rear spring pack. The front is a CV like the Chevy K 30 so the pinion points at the flange on the transfer case. How's that for a short answer?

Murls is who my work uses for driveline work. They do nice work.

Well that is encouraging. Thumbs up...

Today I got my drivelines and license plates. After reading on Steel Soldiers on how much trouble the guys are having getting titles and registrations for civi owned MV trucks over on the other side of the mountains in the wonderful cesspool... er I mean city of Seattle, I decided even though I am not running yet, I wanted the ability to legally drive this truck when the time comes. So done deal. Small town America rules once again. I am sadly in WA state by 1500 feet. And down in Spokane, Murl told me what a great deal I got and he saved me a hundred bucks on parts. I did not tell him he was still 250 bucks higher that everyone else I called to get them made. His 1000 dollar price came later with a phone call. I supplied the rear driveline to be shortened by 2 or so inches. Go figure. They look nice though. The WA plates were 2 hundred. eye roll..
    So right there on the floor is 1200.00 dollars of pure fun. Yep 1200 big ones... I need to find a new hobby. Building jeeps is becoming no fun with either overpriced parts and or a heavily laden aftermarket and repair parts supply with sub standard chinese parts. I always joke about chinese stuff... It looks like a pen but it does not write!
    Onward!
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; February 22nd, 2023 at 02:55 AM.

I could do without the minus 15 degree weather. It will warm back up in a few days when all the new snow is supposed to be here.
    So as mentioned the fuel lines are done. I just got in some marine soft hose fuel line. I have been having problems with automotive fuel hose. It only lasts a couple years and the outer layer develops a ton of cracks. Marine hose will not do that. Good thing there is a hole in the frame crossmember here. The two upright lines go to the El Camino tank under the front of the bed.

And some simple heat shields for the exhaust that is just inches from my floor pan. I had a stainless steel door kick panel laying around. A perfect donor.

And a shorty on the drivers side.

I will get all the fuel hoses on today and see what is next.

19 degrees and snowing like it was the start of winter. More painting weather!! I was standing under the truck looking at what is next. I think I might actually be done under there. Time to rebuild some gear boxes and start thinking about paint. Come on summer....
    I also ordered a P series saginaw power steering pump that has two returns for the hydroboost. It is a Borgeson unit with higher pressure output also. I was wondering about putting a Y in the return line. I read this way is best. My 2001 Dodge 3500 hydroboost is acting up. It's hydroboost month!

Nice to have a look under the truck and not really have much left to do under there. So I pulled the NP 205 transfer case and tore it down. One of the best things I ever did was buy a NP 205 rebuild manual from Torque King in Montana. It is the best step by step tool for tearing it down in the right order and more importantly putting it back together correctly. I had most of the small parts new left over from some very extensive cool mods on my old CUCV. I did need some new bearings. The intermediate gear bearings are a Timken 2793. I found one on Ebay and one at Summit racing. Making sure I picked off of Ebay with the original box. Counterfeits are rampant on Ebay. And for todays most comical note... A seller wanted 299.00 for one single Timken 2793 bearing. I just bought two at 24.00 bucks. People are high or something.. What a strange deal there. BTW the race is Timken 2720. The 80MM bearings are Nachi 6307 N C3 and are made in Japan. Perfect as they have high quality and there are never any doubt's with a product from Japan. I don't have part numbers for the 90MM bearings. I had water in the gear box. It is pretty ugly in there. But some clean up will reveal if anything is not usable. After I do this gearbox I will rebuild the T98. I need to swap in the long J truck input. Conversion input shaft bearings are available and I have them here.
    I am finding that I really need some type of bed crane for this bench. I just can't lift as much as when I was younger and probably more stupid about my back.

Dirty greasy grimy cool stuff. Monster gears that don't break.

I need to go plow snow.