Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

I miss working on the truck. My home has a rotten wood problem that is taking a long time to fix. I have a half day here and there in on the truck. But I am not getting enough wrench time. I got the hydroboost from eightyduece, A hearty thank you to you sir. I have gone to the big city and had a hose made for the O-ring seal on one end and a SAE flare on the other. The hose place was out of several fittings but managed to make what I needed. I am finding a lot of stores are short on standard inventory lately. I also got the El Camino tank mostly installed. I was going to list what a guy needs to do to make one fit. I need to finish it first and I will post it all up. I found a cool fuel filler reducer that will not slow up the fuel filling. It is slick. I still need to install the chevy tank under the very back too. So I am not dead. I am just busy as heck.

I am back on the truck work. I have missed it all summer. Moving it around to fix other vehicles and house issues. I kept wishing I was playing with it instead. It has been 50 days today that I woke up and found my wife deceased. I am just sort of running on a confused auto pilot. I don't care about much. But I must keep doing the next right thing. I will never stop missing her.
    I left off trying to land both an El Camino and chevy fuel tank under the bed. 38 gallon capacity between both. I got the El Camino tank in and done. It fits like it was made for it. I found a stainless tapered offset reducer to go from 3 inch to the 2 inch on the fuel tanks. No obstructions and it hopefully will flow fuel well.

The supports.

Installed.

The tapered reducer. EDIT:: buyfittingsonline.com

It lines up well.

Continued...
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; December 26th, 2023 at 06:36 PM.

The rear tank is a 41-48 Chevy extra capacity. The filler neck does not line up and I am waiting for a 2 inch 180 pipe from Jegs. I wanted a dual filler just like the front one. So I doctored the fuel filler I had by removing the mounting strap, cutting and reversing the fender mount, and pie cutting the bed mount and adding a small filler piece. Then clocking the filer neck with the vent tube facing forward to allow me to remove the axe without interference. The tools came from home depot. I had to cut off ~ 5/8ths off the bottom of the mattocks and about 3/16 of each side. Then sharpen it. I will make my own black straps later. Unfortunately my welder had a cooling line failure. I am waiting for a part. It made a heck of a mess in the shop. I guess I will clean the house today instead.

Duplicating the holes exactly like the front filler.

Making some changes to the mounting bracket.

Everything fits. I wanted fiberglass handles since I am modernizing the truck.
    My shovel is the standard 2 inches to long. I will shorten it.

A little different..

More later.

Interesting!

I think that is looking great!
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Looks good Al.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I was surprised to find copper plating on the entire metal filler neck. I would imagine for the zinc plating? It was zinc I think. All the ones I have seen had either paint or a lot of white aluminum like corrosion on them. It welded back up just fine.

Default Found you!

Can't wait to get all caught up on this. Hope you're doing well, Al. Miss talking to you about Walter and Sadie!

Sadie is in Seattle and has only 600ish miles clocked. Never gets driven in the rain etc. Good to hear from you Greg.

I am still waiting on the 2 inch metal filler neck piece from Jegs. Ordered on the 4th! I have watched Fed Ex alter the dates and location on where it is at. I was an hour from here and now it is stalled in central Washington. They used to be the best shipper. No one is now. This is NOT the 1990's anymore...
    I moved on to the exhaust system. Dual truck mufflers and 2.5 inch pipe. I originally had the exhaust pipes run under the crossmembers. I did not like it and it could catch rocks, logs, and also could cause a problem in deep dry grass here. So I managed to run it above the crossmembers and keep some distance from the body. I don't think I will need heat shields. I need a couple exhaust hangers but the drivers side is done. I am very close with the passenger side. I am working from the muffler back to the rear. Almost there.

I had to put quick release joints in the pipe so I could remove both sections by the transmission. They have to snake there way in there for assembly.
    You can see them between the transfer case mounts. And here behind the
    x-fer case.

The truck is looking good mechanically. When the rear fuel tank and exhaust are done, I will probably start working on the dash. I have a bunch of custom rocker switches to land. When the truck comes apart for paint, I will rebuild the trans, transfer and open up the motor and see what is going on inside there.

More later.