Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

And as mentioned earlier about the internal frame paint. I ran the spray wand inside the entire length of the hat channel under the floor. I also ran it up the firewall as far as it would go. The interior is now coated and protected. I will do it again when the floor patch panel is welded in and done.

I twist the wand back and forth to make sure I am spraying all of it. And withdraw it slowly. I don't care about runs with this stuff.

This is the pattern of spray. I will be doing the insides of the rocker panels also. This is a great product.

Anyway, thought I would post what I had mentioned.

Thank you very much for the detailed pictures, this certainly helps out a lot. Maybe I'll get off my butt and get it done this weekend.

I mostly finished the corner repair. I have some rust treatment from SEM for the back seam. Then seam sealer and some primer or??? I trust SEM and 3M because everything they make works and works well. I have never used the rust product before. I am always looking for a better solution. So the butt joint could use a little more blending. But it got late and dinner was ready.

The corner is very solid now.

I have a few more spots to address. And to cut in the kick panel vents from a J truck. More later. Off to the soft top project for a day or so.

Wow, when I want a new M715 cab built I know who I'm going to see. Beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Wow, when I want a new M715 cab built I know who I'm going to see. Beautiful work.
    Well when you get going on the extended cab project, I'd be interested in that! I learn something with every project.

Well a couple more minor sheet metal repairs done. The back of the cab looked like it got bumped squarely by the bed somehow. And it needed to be put back in place. And weld up the corner cracks. A lot can happen to these trucks in 52 years. They have served us well.

Cracks and bends.. Sorry for the bad pictures. I won't be using this camera anymore. It bends the image and the only advantage was it saved the pictures at 640X480 and I did not have to resize every single picture. I will go back to my dads old camera.

Welded, reshaped straight with the last of the dent being pulled with a stud gun. The top edge looks crowned. It is very straight. I am using a very cheap camera.

One more in the middle and the other corner I think took the brunt of it.
    I used oak and a heavy hammer as a corking tool and drove the seam back to this point. Just a quick corner weld to attach the top edge and then pull the last of the dent.

The last of it.

Good enough for now. Top coated with cheap paint to keep the surface rust down.

I fixed the top bows and got them and the windshield on for making the soft top. I thought I was golden here. Only one or two minor fixes on the cab. I saw a bubble on the rocker. I had already welded one rust hole shut on the other side. I ran the peanut grinder over it with a stiff wire wheel and was going to weld it real quick. Well poop, look what I found.

Even more the further I went. Bummer. Here is a week or so repair.

Oh well, I need the experience. Plus this is still in way better shape than my old cab. 52 years of wear and tear.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; December 20th, 2020 at 11:10 PM.

Wow that was some good paint. I never would have guessed that rocker was bad from looking at it.

Fortunately I have some Melnick rocker skins. I think it was Mikel that had these made. Boy I am glad for that now. Melnicks makes the most accurate rocker available. BJ's offroad and others sell rockers that are not even close to original. These will get me squared away. The black rocker is a factory Jeep OEM rocker for a wagoneer. I bought that 22 years ago for my 69 wagoneer. It was literally the last one in the entire western USA. They are NLA now. Maybe someday I will get it installed.

I will be working on the new top for a while. Uncharted territory. I will come back to this rocker work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Wow that was some good paint. I never would have guessed that rocker was bad from looking at it.
    I know, isn't that something? It looked perfect except for the one very small bubble I hit. Since, I have cut a hole for a look and the outer skin is incredibly pitted on the inside. Not all of it but enough for a cut out repair. I am telling all the members, internal frame paint will keep this from happening. It's pretty important. I will coat everything inside once it is repaired. It is just another few days work.

This is for eightyduece. Glenn, I also hope to see how your Dodge 205 is mounted. So please still post up. Here is the passenger side Dodge 205 case and mounting holes.

Thanks again for the pics Al, I got the Dodge NP205 installed this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images